Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    L
    L
    My son likes competition in anything that isn't physical because he can't really compete physically, except to try to improve his own individual score. He liked studying for and competing in the spelling bee. He liked to be the first to memorize lines in musical theater. He likes competing with his dad on computer and video games. He likes buying used games like Brain Age and competing with the person who owned the game previously. He likes competition in trivia games.

He told me one of the things he didn't like about the new scout group was that it seemed like they encouraged what he called "socialized badge earning" so that nobody earns more badges than the next person. He says this takes away any incentive for him to work hard on what he can do. They seem to want the kids to earn badges at the same time with the rest of the group (most of them at the camps) and not work on them on their own. The Boy Scouts requirement book says any boy scout can earn any merit badge at any time and you don't need to have had rank advancement to be eligible. So I know we need to talk to someone else in the group. But it may be that our local rules are different than some other groups because when he was a cub scout they wouldn't let him earn academic pins until he was in Webelos because they said it wouldn't be fair to the other kids.

Originally Posted by Lori H.
    He told me one of the things he didn't like about the new scout group was that it seemed like they encouraged what he called "socialized badge earning" so that nobody earns more badges than the next person. He says this takes away any incentive for him to work hard on what he can do. They seem to want the kids to earn badges at the same time with the rest of the group (most of them at the camps) and not work on them on their own. The Boy Scouts requirement book says any boy scout can earn any merit badge at any time and you don't need to have had rank advancement to be eligible. So I know we need to talk to someone else in the group. But it may be that our local rules are different than some other groups because when he was a cub scout they wouldn't let him earn academic pins until he was in Webelos because they said it wouldn't be fair to the other kids.

That's not the way scouts is supposed to be run. Talk to the leaders and if it's not changed, take it higher, if you still don't get satisfaction, find a new troop.

L
    L
    Originally Posted by OHGrandma
    That's not the way scouts is supposed to be run. Talk to the leaders and if it's not changed, take it higher, if you still don't get satisfaction, find a new troop.

I talked to the parents of another boy who is my son's age, but will cross over to Boy Scouts next year. Their son has similar sensory issues and would have difficulty with some of the same physical requirements. Their son was diagnosed with autism but it looks to me like it is very mild. They want my son to stay in scouts and I would like for my son to stay in scouts so maybe we can work together to get some changes made.

My son had a couple of friends over for his birthday party and sleepover and we asked the 14 year old friend why he dropped out of scouts. I was really surprised that he had quit because he called us last year to tell us he was having a lot of fun at scout camp and had just hiked up a hill in 100 degree heat. It was then that I realized we might have some problems if my son crossed over to Boy Scouts so I asked my son's 15 year old friend if he thought my son would like it. He said no and he only stays in it because his parents make him. This is the boy who seems the most like my son but doesn't have my son's physical issues. He has a lot of sensitivities and even some that my son doesn't have, but he loves doing musical theater and quickly learns those difficult dances that my son has trouble with and he has no fatigue issues. I think because he is also gifted and highly sensitive he understands my son's difficulties better than any of my son's other friends.

The 14 year old friend told us he dropped out because it got boring. I think we definitely need to make some changes. I hope we can talk the 14 year old into going back into scouting. I know he and my son's two other friends in scouts would help him if he needed help without making fun of him for his lack of coordination and physical strength. He and my son have been friends since my son was 4 1/2 and first joined the musical theater group. He never complained when he had to do dance routines over and over so my son could get it and he talks about how smart my son is and how he should go back to public school where he thinks they would have to put him in the same grade as him. He told my son about a math competition he is involved in at school and I would love for my son to do something like this if only they would allow part time school, but they don't and there are no homeschool groups near us that do this.

I had to fight this "dumbing down" approach to Girl Scouting in my area. Scouting is one area where one can succeed by working hard. My daughter has always had more badges than all of her troop and she enjoys all the extras and goals.

This is why only five percent get the higher awards and is why they mean so much.

It angers me when local areas try to keep everyone down.

J
    J
    Originally Posted by Austin
    Originally Posted by bronxmom
    I'm sure I'm biased by the fact that I have two sons-- one of whom is PG and about to flunk first grade-- but when I look around, I see this everywhere. In my niece and nephews-- nephews all struggling, niece doing great. In my teenage stepchildren-- 16 yo stepson, who took the SAT in 7th grade and got a DYS-qualifying score but is going to barely graduate from high school and hopes to become a tattoo artist; while his 14yo sister, not as "naturally bright,"

Boys do not want to read Charlotte's Web. They want Old Yeller. That may be the biggest problem. I look at the all-male PS here with an all male faculty and the kids are thriving. But the reading list is heavily male oriented as are the foreign language texts and the day's activities with lots of sports.

One of my nephews loves backetball. He is short and will never play after HS, but I buy him any book he wants on basketball. Now he is reading the bios of the great players and coaches and learning a lot about real life and now wants to learn more about historical events that trickle into those bascketball books such as the 1980 Olympic Games and the end of the Cold War.

This is why I'll never discourage my DS5's obsession with monster trucks. He knows more about the series, drivers, trucks, etc than any average 5 year old should know. And I will be equally as proud of him if he turns out to be an extremely skilled mechanic, etc, as I would if he graduates top of the class at yale and becomes a doctor.

Note: I haven't read anything else but the last couple of posts on this thread... going back now.

J
    J
    Originally Posted by Val
    I dunno; couldn't the girls' quiet reaction to a pace that's too slow or too fast constitute a crisis as well? Girls get rewarded for staying quiet and not making waves. By rewarded, I mean that they don't get into trouble, but they also don't get extra attention because no one knows they need it!

Val

This was my issue growing up. No one knew. No one. Even when there were attempts at "suicide" (which my attempts were what they would call cutting these days and not suicidal tendencies), there were quiet reactions from me, my parents, etc. And no one viewed it as a reaction to being bored, etc, because I was "bright". It was written off as possible manic depression (bipolar) and/or teenage hormones.

But, the generalizations about boys, and seeing first hand into a school system of overly medicated boys, I vow to stay on top of DS's educational journey.

I made Senior Patrol Leader over the objections of other parents whose sons were older than I. After that, I quit scouts. I was done. There was nothing left to do. Had I stayed connected, no doubt I could have had other roles when I turned 18.

Scouts can be fun if its approached at the right speed and the other dimensions are exercised such as leadership.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM