Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by bronxmom
    These are the five factors he listed:
    The first factor : changes at school --
    The second factor : video games --
    The third factor : medications for ADHD --
    The fourth factor : endocrine disruptors --
    The fifth factor : the revenge of the forsaken gods

I would have to add a sixth - less interaction with their fathers and other male role models. The pivotal event in my intellectual development was meeting a computer scientist in a bookstore when I was 12. That contact is like food and growth - you need it when you need it and if its not there then the growth will not occur.

And society in general places more value on compliance over independence or expertise and equates compliance with "learning" when in fact that is not the case.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Austin
    And society in general places more value on compliance over independence or expertise and equates compliance with "learning" when in fact that is not the case.

You nailed that one nicely.

Though to be fair (ahem), our society puts a high value independence in two cases:

1. After the independent person is shown to be right (never before, rare support provided for that person)

2. In ads for SUVs, as in "rugged independence," whatever that means

!

Val

Last edited by Val; 05/06/09 09:36 AM. Reason: typo; clarify
    B
    B
    Austin, I think he might have included the loss of role model in the fifth factor.

I'm sure I'm biased by the fact that I have two sons-- one of whom is PG and about to flunk first grade-- but when I look around, I see this everywhere. In my niece and nephews-- nephews all struggling, niece doing great. In my teenage stepchildren-- 16 yo stepson, who took the SAT in 7th grade and got a DYS-qualifying score but is going to barely graduate from high school and hopes to become a tattoo artist; while his 14yo sister, not as "naturally bright," is absolutely thriving and dreaming of big things. In my younger first cousins, now in their 20's-- boys all barely graduated from high school and, not knowing what to do with themselves, joined the military-- girls professionally achieving great things, their only problem (according to them) that they can't find a decent, solvent, independent guy.

In my son's classroom, only the boys are struggling, and half of them are medicated.

Totally unscientific sample, obviously, but it does make me wonder what is happening...

Not to take away from the difficulties of girls... I was one... still am... and a feminist too. As a gifted girl, school was a haven for me... the real world was another matter!

B
    B
    Ha, I think those SUV ads are going to go bye-bye!

I'm sure I'm biased by the fact that I have two sons-- one of whom is PG and about to flunk first grade-- but when I look around, I see this everywhere. In my niece and nephews-- nephews all struggling, niece doing great. In my teenage stepchildren-- 16 yo stepson, who took the SAT in 7th grade and got a DYS-qualifying score but is going to barely graduate from high school and hopes to become a tattoo artist; while his 14yo sister, not as "naturally bright,"

Boys do not want to read Charlotte's Web. They want Old Yeller. That may be the biggest problem. I look at the all-male PS here with an all male faculty and the kids are thriving. But the reading list is heavily male oriented as are the foreign language texts and the day's activities with lots of sports.

One of my nephews loves backetball. He is short and will never play after HS, but I buy him any book he wants on basketball. Now he is reading the bios of the great players and coaches and learning a lot about real life and now wants to learn more about historical events that trickle into those bascketball books such as the 1980 Olympic Games and the end of the Cold War.

B
    B
    I got two very useful parenting tips from this book (Boys adrift)

--The first was that boys tend (generalization, obviously) to not be motivated by the desire to please their parents and/or teachers. Just not a motivator for them.

I vividly remember the strong desire I had to make my mother happy as a young child, and so I was repeatedly frustrated by my son's apparent immunity to my feelings. I kept trying to manipulate him-- don't you care how I feel?-- but once I realized my approval didn't motivate him, it became easier for both of us.

--The second is that boys often thrive on competition-- competition IS a motivator. Competition has been removed from much of children's experience, especially in school, in favor of an "everybody wins" mentality. Many successful boys' schools divide the class into two meaningless "teams"--red and white-- at the beginning of the year, and frame almost everything into a meaningless competition between the teams-- to keep the boys engaged.

Now when I want my son to do something, I often present it as a competition-- for example if I want him to take pictures at the zoo, I will present it as a photography content-- and this works like a charm.

Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by kimck
    Oh, I totally agree. I was one of those girls. I had a horrible elementary school experience and paid for it for years. I thought something was wrong with me. My daughter could easily be one of these kids too. It'll be interesting over the next year with her - she has been in preschool this year but will be homeschooling next year.

I'll admit to feeling a little frustrated when I see lots of stories about how we're shortchanging boys, with no emphasis on what happens to girls. Dr. Ruf's note about sitting the girls in the back of the classroom bothered me. We've been shortchanging girls... you know, forever. But they're quiet so no one seems to notice.

Val

Ummm....Go to http://educationaloptions.wordpress.com/ and scroll down to the preceding blog if you are worried that Ruf is saying that girls are doing it right...

Does Ruf Overgeneralise? She never says 'all' she says 'most.' That matches my experience. Of course the girls who step into the 'boy behavior line' get triple the flack for it.
    Here's my take on it. If you are the person saying, "The Emperor has No Clothes" as Ruf has chosen to be for the 'tracking/anti-tracking' debate, then one had better be prepared to talk in sound bites and repeat oneselve quite a bit.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    The top 20 students of graduating 2009 class (over 600) appeared in our paper today - 11 girls (55%) and 9 boys (45%). Those aren't as bad as the stats presented in the book "The Trouble with Boys" where in some schools only 1 boy is in the top.

F
    F
    competition IS a motivator

My DS2 is way ahead of his peers because he can't stand the fact that his older sister can do something that he can't. He will even run to load the washing machine if I ask his sister to do it. grin

D
    D
    --The second is that boys often thrive on competition-- competition IS a motivator. Competition has been removed from much of children's experience, especially in school, in favor of an "everybody wins" mentality. Many successful boys' schools divide the class into two meaningless "teams"--red and white-- at the beginning of the year, and frame almost everything into a meaningless competition between the teams-- to keep the boys engaged.

My son�s all boys� school has a house system (multi-grade, like Hogwarts). The boys compete against other houses for everything from G.P.A. to cans collected for a food drive.

I wasn�t sure about the idea previously, but since my kids began this year, I have become a big fan of single gender education.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM