Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 438 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    D
    DrH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Anyone familiar with the Austin area? I'm looking at a transfer to that area and a large part of the decision will be based on how good or bad the schools are.... Anyone have first hand info?

You are in luck. I know everything about them. What age are your kids?

D
    DrH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    A 7 year old that will be in second grade. The youngest one is only 4 so for her it will just be the pre-k

The Austin area is one of the 'most educated' areas of the US. We lived in Barton Hills near downtown and most kid are several years ahead of grade level and 99% parental involvement with a Art History program. We had incredible teachers. My daughter was four years ahead when we moved here - and they really had no gifted program since most students were so high. They did "modified grouping" often, which meant that the kids five years ahead were in one class and four years ahead were in another. There were three teachers per grade. They take transfer students.

My daughter had several incredible magnet schools to choose from - Kealing and Fulmore for Middle School. One was science and the other Humanities and Law.

However, there are bad schools around also. And there are outlying districts which are excellent. Music and Art are really important in Austin. In the outlying districts, football and sports are a little more important.

This all depends on where you are going and what your personality is like. Many of our parents were professors at one of the universities.

D
    DrH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    I think if we could find a school where football and cheer leading didn't exist we would be quite happy. Our biggest fear in moving to Texas was that our daughter would be pressured into the insane sports/cheer leading mentality that Texas is known for...

I know this isn't a gifted question... but how safe is Austin itself... we were expecting it to be like most cities and thought we would have to look for a suburb to avoid the crime.

Once you leave Austin, you are in Texas. Austin is very safe - west of I-35. Schools are very different so it really matters where you go to school. PTA's have a lot of pull and some of them contribute hundreds of thousands of dollars to the school and pay for teaching positions. All of the schools have their own personalities. Go ahead and send me a message and I'll be completely honest with you. You'll love Austin - except the heat.

Most of Texas is very, very safe. There are parts of Houston that are as bad as parts of Oakland or Chicago, but that is it.

There is very little criminal-on-non-criminal crime unless you are involved with those who make or sell drugs. Many Texans are armed, either via CHL or in-car-carry and for this reason criminals avoid messing with your average person.

The Austin PD is very, very good and is a young PD with a lot of dedicated officers who have to deal with a very diverse group of citizens.

Personally, I'd find someone who lives in Austin and spend a couple of days looking around. I'd do this on a work week so you can get a feel for traffic as Austin has the worst traffic I've ever seen - especially from downtown North to Round Rock.

D
    DrH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks for the information... my only experience was from living in Houston... I didn't think anything would ever get me back into Texas after that experience.

L
    L
    Austin is awesome. If NASA was there, ahh well.....My college roommate teaches there and tells us (sisters, me, anyone else) how great her school is all the time. Way better than all others smile. She says her kids (in class) are smarter than the average bear. I haven't been back in a while but making MOPAC a toll road seems to help (get a tolltag). I agree though the roads there weren't built for the growth that Austin has had on the North side.

Of course as far as sports Hook-Em....had to get that in there.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by DrH
    I think if we could find a school where football and cheer leading didn't exist we would be quite happy. Our biggest fear in moving to Texas was that our daughter would be pressured into the insane sports/cheer leading mentality that Texas is known for...
    We live in Northeastern Texas. Is that true that Texas has that kind of stereotype? We have not really noticed it; we have an incredible school district, though, for just about everything EXCEPT gifted programs, even though the district has an incredibly large amount of gifted and even highly gifted children.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM