Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #47074 05/10/09 01:33 PM
    OP Offline
    I know there have been other threads on this topic but I decided to just start a new one. This is interesting information that I just found: (forgive me if someone else has posted this already!)
    http://www.spdfoundation.net/gifted.html

I had previously commented that my investigations couldn't find any correlation with gifted and SPD, but seems I might be wrong (imagine that, my DH says!) At my new job, with so many new kids to see, I'm finding a VERY high number of kids with dyspraxia and modulation disorders who are also quite gifted!! Made me start looking around some more. I still wonder though whether some of it doesn't just constitute differences and not a disorder. Goes back to how you define disorder, I suppose.

I also got this link off another board:
    www.itsyourhealthradio.org
    The host is doing a whole series on SPD with interviews that are downloadable from the site. Click on "Past Shows" to get the audio from already aired shows. They are airing in May.

doodlebug #47077 05/10/09 02:45 PM
    H
    H
    Thanks so much Debbie. This is very helpful. I agree that it is best looked at a difference. Unfortunately asking the school for a "quiet" place for work just doesn't work. That comment gets put in the "pushy overreacting mom" file the school has started for me. I wonder what they will say when I ask for swinging breaks????

I do have to say that I used to use the park as a reward for good behavior in the grocery store and after reading up on SPD I decided to start off with the park (swings and merry-go-round in particular) and then go do my shopping. Wow what a difference. The kids sit nicely in the cart or walk next to me now. I never knew their little bodies actually needed the swinging/spinning to calm down. Duh!

Anyways thanks for the link.

hkc75 #47079 05/10/09 02:51 PM
    B
    B
    Thanks Debbie for the link - I will have to share with DS6 having SPD and Dyspraxia I have done more burning of the midnight oil on the computer than I care to think about trying to learn about them both and their correlation with being gifted. Over the past 2 years I keep reading and finding over and over again articles or books sharing that there is a high percentage of children who are all 3 and that in many cases have read that giftedness, Dyspraxia and SPD tend to go hand in hand. I keep running into gifted families online and in the state that state their child also has SPD, Dyspraxia and is very gifted. Thanks for the great links

doodlebug #47140 05/11/09 04:27 PM
    L
    L
    Thank you for posting this. I have not seen some of the articles. I wish I had seen the article about dentist visits before we went to the dentist.

I wonder how many of these gifted kids with SPD and dyspraxia think camping in a tent and hiking are fun activities. I wonder how many of those kids and parents of those kids get the feeling that most people don't really understand this disorder and feel frustrated that they can't get the help they need. I wonder how many of their parents are like me and turned into helicopter parents when they realized that most people really don't understand this disorder and tried to protect them from ignorant people who call them a wuss or lazy or weak.

Last edited by Lori H.; 05/11/09 04:28 PM.
    Lori H. #47142 05/11/09 05:48 PM
    P
    P
    Interesting links - thanks for posting. I will download the podcasts for sure.

I'd love to see some good research on gifted kids and SPD. I'd love to know of the process of maturity with growing out of many sensory issues is similar for gifted and typical kids. Also, if sensory integration therapy tends to have similar outcomes for gifted versus more typically developing kids. For our family maturity, lifestyle changes and dealing with underlying anxiety seemed to all be more helpful than sensory integration therapy.

Lori H. #47143 05/11/09 05:52 PM
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by Lori H.
    I wonder how many of their parents are like me and turned into helicopter parents when they realized that most people really don't understand this disorder and tried to protect them from ignorant people who call them a wuss or lazy or weak.

Was that a rhetorical question?

If not, I suspect that it is quite common. Overprotection is like a lot of kinds of anxiety. The initial trigger may make perfect sense but then unchecked it takes on a life of its own and gets totally out of proportion to the actual threat. It is not uncommon for parents of special needs kids or kids who have struggled to get stuck in a pattern of excess worry and overprotection. But, that doesn't mean it is healthy or an inherent part of the experience that can't be changed.

L
    L
    Originally Posted by passthepotatoes
    For our family maturity, lifestyle changes and dealing with underlying anxiety seemed to all be more helpful than sensory integration therapy.

I don't see how it is possible to deal with the underlying anxiety without getting help for the underlying problems that are causing the anxiety. SPD, dyspraxia and hypotonia affect so many aspects of my son's life. I am trying to find help so that he can be successful when he needs to do physical activities in front of other people. He can't trust his body to perform the way he wants it to. It is like he has to find alternate ways of learning things like dance routines or anything that requires motor memory. I think he has to compensate by either converting steps to verbal memory by naming each physical step and memorizing those steps or some other kind of memory, but this takes extra time and slows him down. This is why group lessons don't work well for him.

How does he overcome his anxiety with his history of difficulty with physical things, with the memories of things like the choreographer and acting teacher making all the kids in the musical theater group go over the dance routines until my son could get it when they were tired and they got it a long time ago and the teacher pointing out to the group that they are having to do it again because of him. Or the group swimming lessons each year where all the other kids actually learned to swim and it took him most of the lesson just to get used to the water temperature and to get over the fear of putting his face in the water and that feeling of making very little progress compared to the other kids. I feel like I need to find a way for him to achieve success in something physical and this has been difficult for us.

My son went to Boy Scouts yesterday and there was a lot of talk about the swimming test the rest of the boys are scheduled to take, but he knows he can't do it because he doesn't know how to swim and it is not for lack of trying. It seemed like everything they talked about was physical and just another reminder of things my son can't do. I couldn't figure out how to teach him to do things that I just did without thinking and yes that causes me to have anxiety. Unless we can get help for these difficulties, how can I possibly be less anxious? My son has no trouble at all learning academics and anything to do with the computer but for this, he is labeled a geek or nerd. How is he supposed to fit in with the average boy scout that he is nothing like. Can he really have that much fun at a camp if he doesn't have much in common with the other kids?

He went to his friend's birthday party last weekend and the rest of the boys at the party were 3 and 4 years older and some of them were scouts, but they hadn't met my son. They played a lot of video and computer games at the party. My son said he didn't use any SAT words, but one of the older boys who heard him talk called him a technological nerd or something like that and when my son didn't react to the comment he said he guessed my son must have heard that a lot.

My husband asked one of the Boy Scout leaders yesterday if our son should be working on badges independently and the leader said the kids earn most of the badges at camps. It is like they want all the kids to earn the badges together, and they are only working on those that require physical skills and not the ones my son would be interested in working on, the ones that might help him feel successful.

I do think if he could manage to be successful in something like swimming, then he might be more confident in trying new physical things, but we have to find private lessons and they are very expensive.

I think a lot of people think I should just let him go to a week long scout camp with his anxiety over trying new physical activities when he has a history of great difficulty and just let him sink or swim. Let him sit on the side of the pool and watch the other boys as they swim so they know he is the only one who cant, let him see on his own if he can overcome the fear of the dark, the phobias, the inability to sleep because he hears every little noise, the fear of the other boys discovering his weaknesses and making fun of him, the bad headaches that cause him to be even more sensitive to light and sound which I do have experience with--migraines run in my family, the muscle aches that seem to be inevitable when he tries to keep up with the other kids.

Sink or swim. Common sense tells me not to put him in a sink or swim situation until he feels ready. With SPD and dyspraxia there is a higher risk of sinking and I don't think sinking will help him feel more confident. I think we need to work on being successful in one activity at a time until he can be successful and replace those negative memories with positive ones.

Lori H. #47183 05/12/09 08:44 AM
    "I do think if he could manage to be successful in something like swimming, then he might be more confident in trying new physical things, but we have to find private lessons and they are very expensive."

We actually got simming lessons at YMCA for dd7. She has issues with motor planning and visual perceptual skills. We had to work with the Coach (who was a college student) to explain what babybear needed. She was great, using a multisensory approach. DD is really doing well with swimming and it is also great for her hypotonia!

Good Luck! Swimming is great!

Mamabear #47189 05/12/09 10:20 AM
    P
    P
    It could be summed up as:

1. as long as he is physically behind he will feel anxious and there is no treatment for that.

2. physical learning isn't possible (because he's too severely affected and didn't have OT younger, because private lessons are too expensive, because doctors won't help, because people are mean and can't understand, etc. etc. etc.)

In other words: there is no possible solution.

From a distance to me this is summed up as: ANXIETY. There are many thinking errors in evidence here. The reality is that there are disabled children, even very significantly disabled ones, who are successful in activities including Boy Scouts. There are parents of disabled kids who are hopeful rather than ridden with anxiety.

Life isn't fair and we don't all get the same amount of gifts or challenges. A person could objectively have only the most minimal of challenges but see it as a mountain that couldn't be climbed if their anxiety is not under control.

So, for that reason, I respectfully suggest until anxiety is under control it is hard for anything else to be dealt with.

Last edited by passthepotatoes; 05/12/09 11:46 AM. Reason: skipped a word
    I
    I
    I feel like I need to find a way for him to achieve success in something physical and this has been difficult for us.

Sounds like a good goal. I just signed DD up for some sport camps through our local parks and rec. One offering they had was therapeutic horse riding. Here's a link in case this is something that would interest your son:
    http://www.americanequestrian.com/therapy.htm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs