Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 110 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    #47048 05/10/09 05:28 AM
    O
    over42 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    Thanks for all the ideas...last night she was up 2 times crying because she peed her bed!! I think she is stressed AND trying to win. I tried water, reading, scratching her to relax...you name it. I will let everyone know when I succeed. DD3 used to projectile vomit to get attention!! Yeah, what a trip. The Dr told us to show ZERO emotion, do not talk or look at her, clean it up and move on. I think this PT issue might be the same thing. She might just be wanting the attention, negative or positive. SO, today this is my new strategy...with Granny and Grandpa here for Mother's Day should be interesting. A HUGE HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ALL THOSE GT MOMS, YOU REALLY DESERVE IT!!!!!

Melissa Hughes
    O
    over42 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    Yes, we have mastered potty training!! The book really helped and having my husband step in the next day worked wonders. Now, she is fully trained and when she has an accident she takes care of it herself, clean up and all!! THANK YOU!!!

Melissa Hughes
    T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Yay! Well done for sticking with it smile

I
    I
    Glad it worked but be careful with automatic flush toilets. They terrified my DD and I had a hard time getting her to use public toilets for awhile. Wished I'd known more about the overexcitabilities when she was younger. crazy

#47653 05/17/09 07:11 PM
    B
    B
    PurpleHeather - your idea is pretty much exactly what we did with our son - there was no pressure or stressing. We started talking about the potty about age 2.5 and how the whole potty worked, where it went, he was fascinated and we drove out to the treatment facility so he could see where it was. We found some cool books on pipe building and laying pipes and that added to the "coolness" of the toilet. He wanted to know where his pooh came from so we found charts and books on the digestive system and he would go around sharing all about where his food went and what it turned into.
    My little guy is stubborn beyond belief but with potty training I don't know if it is because we started talking to him months and months before we even brought up him trying and we never, ever pushed him. We put the job onto him when he was ready. He was potty trained a few months before he turned 3. The chart system was a huge help to us. He was in control of what he wanted to do without us pushing and before he knew it, he had trained himself. I know with some kids, the more anxiety placed on them, it can cause their little systems to shut down and not go. We also used cheerios for our little guy to use as target practice and he always went in the big toilet, we just got a special kid seat that went over the top of it so he didn't fall in :-)

F
    F
    Glad it worked but be careful with automatic flush toilets. They terrified my DD and I had a hard time getting her to use public toilets for awhile.
    Us too! I learned to put a peice of toilet paper over the sensor and it will not flush prematurely. My DD6 still uses this technique. smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM