Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 270 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    DS4 is doing the same thing, Soup. Nothing that even looked especially GT (except OEs!), and then WHAM! He's crazy with the math! In the span of a month, literally!

It's almost more like an explosion than a blossoming!

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    The CTY study is SET, Study of Exceptional Talent...

http://cty.jhu.edu/set/index.html

I don't know about the free classes though, frown . Keep in mind the SAT is a 5 hour marathon! I do know of 8 year olds that took it, and some of those even made the SET level, but your kiddo needs to be ready for more than just the academics. The program is certainly within his grasp, but it might be a few years yet. The "average" age for acceptance is probably closer to 11/12 (if such a thing can even be described by that word!)

Best wishes with the application, and good luck with the classes! I'm glad you were able to get financial aid.

Thanks Dottie! Maybe is he does it, we can get the district to pay for it....lol will need a truckload of house shoes for that....lol

I printed the curriculum for the 3rd/4th epgy class for a teacher friend of mine. She went through it and according to our state standards it covers material all the way through 8th grade! I'm going through the process of enrollment now. But I think I'll opt for the 5/6 class as well.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    L
    lanfan Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Update on CTY:

We are officially half way through our Young Reader class and the verdict is a big thumbs up!! My dd is getting so much out of it. She is really enjoying the books and is learning how to read closely and critically. She is making connections in the text and thinking deeply about the characters and what motivates them. The teacher has been very responsive and thorough in her evaluations so all in all we're thrilled. Just as a P.S. my dd was accepted into the gifted program so we're happy about that too.

V
    V
    Thanks for the feedback on the Young Reader class. DS7 was working on math through CTY, which is really EPGY for the lower grades. He's in 4 now but we put it on hold while we deal with school issues. I'm curious to hear how you like the math.

I was thinking about the Young Reader class for part of the summer but I'm not sure about the writing component. DS7 reads at a higher level and would like the 4/5 books but I'm not sure he could handle the writing component. I do not want it to be a chore but I would like him to have [more] practice. Does DD enjoy writing every other day? Did she enjoy writing before the class? Thanks!

L
    lanfan Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Hello VolcanoMom,

We have not taken any Math. My dd did not qualify. On the writing it can be a chore if she is having a busy week. I sit at the computer and discuss the questions with her so she views it as an activity we do together and that helps. She enjoys the discussions and trading ideas with other kids.

I have experience with Northwestern's CTD and Stanford's EPGY online courses, but would like to hear about any of JHU's CTY online courses that allow kids to interact with each other online more for 3rd graders. Glad to hear about the Dog Stories course, thanks.

I also have experience with the summer courses at CTD and EPGY, which are of course more interactive but both allow students who have submitted a portfolio instead of test scores, so there were some students who were not highly gifted attending the courses.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM