Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DS6 came home with a page full of "I will not touch people in line".

Wow, I really thought that there were better punishments in public school these days. I guess detention, time in the principal's office and loss of recess just isn't working with DS6 anymore. smile

Crisc
    F
    F
    I remember when I was in Elm. I got in trouble for swinging on the vines at school. I had to write "I am not Jane" 100 times. I still laugh when I see tarzan on TV.

That would have taken my ds about a month to complete at age 6...a page?? Whew. Our ds is defnitely a touchy feely guy, surprised he didn't get more such complaints from school when he was still learning the ropes.

N
    N
    I had to write "I will wear my coat at recess" The whole time I was thinking, "I'll never wear my coat at recess".

Ha! At DS6's school, they have a more enlightened solution for that one--they tell them, "next time, you'll remember how cold it was without your coat!" smile Recess isn't long enough these days to freeze anyone, I guess.

Val Offline
    Snort! This thread reminded me of something I hadn't thought about in a long, long time.

When I was in 8th grade, we were all in English class. Our teacher (not the most kid-friendly teacher I've ever met) gave us an assignment and a noise outside obscured her voice. My friend Mark couldn't hear her and asked me what we had to do. The teacher heard us and assumed we'd been goofing around. We tried to explain, but she wasn't interested.

She told us we had to write a 200 word essay on why you shouldn't talk in class. We wrote:

"Talking in class is a very, very, very...(insert 191 verys) bad thing to do."

We turned in the essays together and she never said a word. Score one for the kids.

Val

I remember having to write "I will NOT chew gum in science class because it is rude and annoying Mr. Goodman." First it was 50x but since I neglected to toss the gum and was happily chewing while writing and not having to listen to him drone on in class, he upped it to 1000x!

My father came to school the next day to let the teacher know what he thought of the assignment and I never had to finish the assignment or ever do another one!

Funny note: my dd7 has an OT recommendation FOR chewing gum in class!

N
    N
    What is it about 8th grade, anyway? That just reminded me about the time that a classmate and I got called out to talk to the principal because the teacher said we were cheating. Because we had the same answers. The right ones. LMAO! Ok, so one of us is supposed to get something wrong just so we don't turn in identical papers? He was an idiot.

Of course, I had a high school English teacher who almost failed me on "progress" because I didn't have any for the whole year. Hello, I started with a max score at the beginning of the year, so where am I supposed to go? The lesson my mother said I should have learned was to start at the beginning of the year with just a few correct answers, and gradually work my way up through the year so I could show progress. smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations