Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #463 09/26/06 08:38 AM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    well i figured out why Mite is sad. he's being ostracized in his class. our next door neighbor has a kid the same age who is a very bright, in-you-face kid. he and Mite have been great buddies, but they are prone to fighting every couple of weeks. the fights are typical kids fights that i don't get all ruffled about, but apparently the neighbor kid does.

then there is another neighbor down the way with a girl the same age as Mite. about a month ago, she and her brother were throwing sticks at our house. we were sitting inside (Mite was at camp) and suddenly heard this loud thumping on the house. i went outside to check and it was this girl, her 6 year old brother and the neighbor kid. i asked what was going on. they said they were seeing who could throw the stick the highest on the house. i told them it wasn't appropriate to throw sticks at people's houses and it wasn't appropriate to be in other people's yards without their knowledge. i sent the neighbor kid home and walked home with the other two to meet their parents and let them know what had happened.

it was all very calm and kind. i wasn't angry, but just wanted the kids to know what they were doing wasn't ok.

well about an hour after I came back home the girl's dad came back to our house and told me off saying i had no right to discipline his kids. he said his kids said i yelled at them and they didn't throw sticks. that was funny because they told him right in front of me that they had thrown sticks. he kept ranting and telling me off. it was horrid.

so now both the neighbor boy and this girl are in Mite's class and telling him that their parents hate him and me. they are telling the other kids (who all been in class together since the first grade gifted cluster) not to play with him because **I** am mean!!!!!!

for goodness sake....i don't know what to do. it is terrible. they are really doing a job of it. i watch the group at after school club and saw they were indeed ostracizing him. the poor chap, who to this point has NEVER had ANY social problems and is considered kind and polite by everyone, including kids from class last year, just stands there and asks people if he can play with them as they run by and they all say NO.

i feel so bad about all this. what can i do? I've told the school and the stuff, of course, isn't happening in the classroom; so, they all say it isn't happening.

sigh. nothing seems to be going right for Mite.

Willa Gayle
    #464 09/26/06 10:58 AM
    I'm so sorry, Willa Gayle. Kids can be so mean, and it is especially painful for gifted kids to be treated cruelly. It is also hard on moms to see their kids being mistreated.

I'll be praying for you and Mite.

Summer

#465 09/26/06 11:20 AM
    A
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    A
    I'm so sorry! My son is 3 1/2 so I don't have these problems...YET! I take my son to a playgroup and some of the Mom's consider my kid the "smart" one and he's just showing off when he starts reading to me at reading time (instead of me reading to him). One Mom actually said something to another about her daughter being really smart but they don't have to do it in public. huh? We are sitting next to each other as every other parent/child is, reading quitely. What I have done is nice them to death. I have volunteered at every fund raiser. Offer to help other Mom's when they bring 2 kids and have to go potty or one wants to go play outside and the other doesn't. You might also try to divide and conquer. Have coffee with your neighbor and tell her how unhappy Mite is and you have no idea why. Set up play times with some of the kids not in this group. Have a Halloween party and invite them all (also invite others in case they don't show).
    I am new to this site and I realize that this site is very PC but I can't help but think "mean people stink". An internet friend uses this as a tag line. I dread the day I will face this...

#466 09/28/06 03:20 AM
    Oh WillaGayle! ((hugs))

It's not your fault that these kids were throwing sticks at your house!

I don't have any contructive ideas at all - except, send him to school with candy for everybody. This is weird, but I find normal (non-gifted) kids to be very amazingly shallow - apparently that's a normal thing that they grow out of. It's almost beyond my imagining how shallow they are, in general. So don't hold back trying anything crass or obvious, such as sending in candy, as long as it isn't mean. Then see if I'm right. Prepare to be suprised.

Love and More Love,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    #467 09/30/06 04:48 AM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    I'll maybe send some cool pencils or some nifty cheap toy. We aren't allowed to send food. We live in a state that is micromanaged at every level.

I agree about typical people and "shallow". It is sad to say, they also tend to be the same people who run education...neighborhood...the world....etc.

For example, I get tired of seeing administrative educators hiring their "friends" rather than competent employees. Rarely are their "friends" competent. Our school district is sooooooo nepotic. Unfortunately the director is "normal" and very "shallow". So, we have an abundance of normal and shallow educators here.

To top off the tornado, Mite and I were rear ended in a car accident Thursday night. We both are having whiplash symptoms.

I think we need to be done with Sept. 2006!

Willa Gayle

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM