Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    S
    S
    Tell me more about the coconut milk - is the protein comparable to cow milk? We can't do soy here either (allergy) or almond milk (allergy) and rice milk doesn't have the protein (unfortunately milk is a primary source of protein for my most picky eater). I have longed to try a dairy-free, or less-dairy, diet for a couple of my kids, but it would be hard to do it if there's still cow milk in the frig. I don't get to whole foods very often but I'm interested in experimenting.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    The container reads: 65% medium chain fatty acids. It also contains 5 grams saturated fat per cup (250 ml) and no other kind of fat. I did read that it contains lauric acid which is an antifungal/antibacterial. That's kind of all that I know. I wish I knew what the RDA was. How much before I start to see negative effects? We're all stick thin here, though, which is common when you're hyperactive. LOL. Personally, I view it as a fat source more than protein. The protein is only 1 gram per cup.

My next move is to learn to make yogurt. It's supposed to have even more probiotics if it's made homemade a la SCD diet. I don't think I can do the actual diet at this point, but I am going to try the yogurt. So, that would be a healthy source of protein for you if you wanted to do that. I don't know. My mom just sent me THe China Syndrome. Haven't even opened it yet but she now believes that cow's milk in its entirety is the root of all evil.

Have you checked into raw dairy? That could be an option if you really need protein. http://www.realmilk.com/why.html There's also goat's milk. The casein is supposed to be different and it's safe for a lot of people.

M
    M
    Thank you. I won't hold you accountable:)

M
    M
    My DS is allergic to wheat and diary, but tolerates goats milk very well. I tried rice and soy as well, but they don't have enough protein for my also picky eater. He has a mild allergy to soy as well; so I give it to him in moderation. He does eat soy yogurt; but not every day. I will have to look into the estrogen levels in soy. That's interesting. Thanks ya'll.:)

H
    H
    Update. We can't seem to make the GF diet work so we just cut out as much as possible. The fish oil tablets did not work. What we have found to make a HUGE difference is swinging. I can't explain the mellow calm that comes over both my kids after swinging. We have also started eating fish every other day. Now DS is back to full-on neuron firing and I am back to mental exhaustion. So I am either trying to keep him from climbing the walls or mental exhaustion. *sigh* At least he is doing a tons better. Thanks for all the helpful tips here. We love the coconut milk smoothies!

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Yay for you! I'm glad something has worked! Swings help us out tremendously. Oddly enough, it only works when DS does it himself. If we try to swing him, it backfires and makes him more unbalanced. It's very weird, but whatever works!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM