Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 319 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #46141 04/30/09 07:02 AM
    OP Offline
    HI all,
    I recently started a thread about talking to teachers (in the advocacy forum) and some of you know that I finally asked for subject or grade acceleration for my DDs.

The principal got my note and called me today, we have a meeting set in a few weeks. She mentioned that by the time of the meeting, the Cogat will be back. I looked at last year's. While she (DD9) is so super high in IQ, last year's Cogat was not stellar, like in the 80's and 90's. Is this a good indicator for the school to be using as a tool for acceleration? If not, what can I offer to offset it?

Thanks! grin

What about the IQ test that shows she has a super high IQ. Have you done any out of level achievement testing? Our district will only skip if the child obtains certain scores on their own tests, I haven't seen any exceptions to that. Hope your school is more flexible.

For sure bring anything that exhibits your children working at or above the grade level you would like them to be skipped into.

Good Luck!

Neato

I've seen several gifted kids score in the 80s-90s on the CoGAT but in the 140s on the WISCIV. It is supposed to be used a screener for further testing like the WISCIV and SBV but most often use it as their hard and fast test.

M
    MTS Offline
    M
    My DD was tested on CoGAT in the beginning of 5th grade. She scores 93 on verbal, 97 on Quantitative and 71 on non verbal with a composite of 93.
    Based on this she was just accelerated in math to the next grade.
    I believe that the child needs to score high on all three subtests to be considered for whole grade skip.

We got her tested from outside on WISC IV, she scored > 99 percentile. But the school/district still wanted to corroborate the scores. So they administered WJ-III. She got exactly the same score on that as well.

I agree with Dazed&Confused that they use CoGAT as their hard and fast test. We know a couple of kids who did not score high enough in CoGAT but tested very high on WISC IV.

Here is some information from Hoagies on grade skip:

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/iowa_accel_scale.htm

and some more:

http://parentingagiftedchild.suite101.com/article.cfm/advocating_for_grade_acceleration

Thanks

Last edited by MTS; 04/30/09 09:50 AM.
    OP Offline
    Thanks. She was in the 140's WISC, 152 VCI, the county's psychologist is helping me by finding the raw scores, as she hit several "19s".
    Her Cogat last year was in the 80's and mid 90's. I don't even want a full grade skip, just subject acceleration at this point. I was just curious if the Cogat tended to correlate with other indicators.

Our DYS DD did obtain a composite score of 150 on the CogAt, however, I've heard many, many stories of HG(+) children scoring lower than their official IQ score on that test.

It's too bad that schools rely so heavily on it for inclusion to GT services as it really is meant to be a screener. Unfortunately, it's really cheap to administer for a large number of students..................

It's kind of like a Dr. saying....well I think this cyst looks malignant, even though the biopsy that came back from the lab says it isn't...........((shrugging shoulders))

Defininately bring the WISC scores in. A WISC trumps a CogAt, IMO, I'd be nervous about someone who'd lead you to believe otherwise.

Neato

Last edited by incogneato; 04/30/09 06:32 PM. Reason: sp
    Cogat is designed for the norm, kids falling outside that can do pretty poorly on it - ex: my ds scored 35th percentile on cogat's quantitative section, but in the 90's on the arithmetic subtest on the Wisc IV...pretty big difference in 'potential'.

Interesting! I had asked our tester about what correlates with quantitative, whether it was Arithmetic and he said yes, but perhaps he didn't understand my question? Is there a wisc subtest which does correlate better with the cogat quantitative section?
    Or, alternately on other tests such as Woodcock Johnson achievement (don't know the exact name of that one)
    Thanks!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM