Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 194 guests, and 41 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #45763 04/27/09 04:57 PM
    V
    OP Offline
    V
    I'm new to the forum and very excited I found it. I have a DS7 who just turned 7 and a DS4 who will be 5 in June. Our DS7 has always been advanced (alert, intense, extremely active but able to sit for long periods of time with books) and he has also always wanted to fit in. It's hard for me to watch and my story is similar to many so I'll try to make it short.

I was in pullout programs as a child but really wanted (needed) a school I could attend with other kids like me. My DH was tested in first grade in Canada and scored 156 on whatever test was given. He was given special resources and skipped. I had hoped our sons would have the resources DH had but I was sadly mistaken.

The Spanish Immersion program our DS7 is in was fine for most of kinder while he learned basic Spanish but he's bored in first and getting into trouble. We hoped he could do EPGY math during school but it's not allowed so he's completed 2nd and 3rd grade math at home - after spending the day learning to sit still. It's not fun for any of us. He reads voraciously - most recently Caroline Lawrence's Roman Mysteries series. Sometimes I feel like I live at the library as DS7 works his way through every mythology book we can find (since he read the Percy Jackson series over winter break). I have a list, if anyone is interested. I started putting together materials for the DYS program after I was told DS7 couldn't bring Lord of the Rings into the classroom because he had gotten into trouble for reading the Hobbit before spring break. It's exhausting.

I have a full time job that I like but I spend a huge amount of time trying to find enrichment activities for the boys. It pains me to see DS7 trying to fit in. If I wasn't so worried that being bored all day was hurting him, I would find it funny that he has been researching Lego sets online so he has something to talk about with his friends at school. When he picked a set of Lego mini-figures from his birthday party gift exchange he turned to let me know exactly how much money we had saved by not buying each of the sets. I love Lego but I would love him to have peers he can talk with about more of his other interests too. I'd also love to reduce some of the frustration that builds in him throughout the day.

Our DS4 is completely different but also gifted. DS7 is the theoretical one and DS4 is the experimentalist. DS4 was able to move the stool, climb up, take out 30 keys, find the one that fit the tool closet, find the drill, take it out, and plug it into the wall before he was 3.

It's really nice to have a place where I don't feel like the crazy mom. Thank you!

Volcanomom, welcome!!

We have had so many wonderful new parents join in the last few days. I love the stories.

Your DS4 reminds me of myself and our Mr W(15mo). I was really into tools at that age. Mr W already knows how to use keys and likes to lock the door when we leave. ( I have to hold him.) He also likes to "drive" and will stick the key in the ignition and then try to shift the gears.

Austin #45799 04/27/09 09:18 PM
    V
    OP Offline
    V
    Thanks! It's fun and exhausting. Knowing there are other parents out there in similar situations is helpful.

T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Hi VolcanoMom and welcome! This forum is great and everyone here is so helpful. I have DS7 and DS4.5. DS7 loved the Percy Jackson books too and really likes mythology. How sad that your DS is bored all day at school, are you able to take in the Math that he has done at home to show the teacher? As for fitting in with other children, my DS recently told me that he feels lonely (even when with other children) and that it is hard to get a conversation started that both he and them will find interesting - I think that my DS also wants to fit in which makes it hard! It sounds like you are doing a great job raising your children and working full-time. There is plenty of advice to be had on this board, although I should add that I am one of the people who asks for advice as I am fairly new to all this!

Welcome smile

Tiz #45870 04/28/09 10:56 AM
    V
    OP Offline
    V
    Thank you! I have shown the teacher his math exams and we often turn in different homework. I feel stronger after reading a small amount of the forum and the "Vulnerabilities of highly gifted children" article so I'm planning to schedule a time to talk with the teacher again. It's a longer process than I anticipated.

N
    N
    Welcome!
    I just found this place last week, and it's great!

Tiz #46289 05/01/09 12:35 PM
    V
    OP Offline
    V
    Tiz - It sounds like our children are similar. I haven't read all of the posts so I apologize if my question has been answered elsewhere. How is your DS7's school experience? I wish we lived near each other. My son would love someone to talk with who had similar interests!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs