Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 170 guests, and 44 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #45329 04/23/09 06:43 AM
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Ok, so I am finally at the point were I know I need to have my son tested. Trouble is that the nearest test center I can find is almost 2 hours away. Anyone here know of anyone doing testing closer to the western MA area? I really want someone comfortable with GT kids. I tried the local college but I was very uncomfortable with there viewpoints. Now I am at a loss & could really use some help. Thanks

is hartford ct close enough?

Realistically - 2 hours for someone who 'gets' gifted kids isn't bad. Afterall - you want more than a number...you want a relationship with an experienced person you can trust, see?

Most folks don't get to 'the point where I know I need' testing without some heartache along the way.

You can try contacting any schools for gifted in your area and ask who they reccomend for testing. (I'm thinking that someone at Simon's Rock College might be worth chatting with in this regard, maybe)

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Yeah, Hartford is close enough but I can't even find that much. I don't want to seem like I am whining about two hours being horrible. It is just that I don't want to wear my son out with 4 hour of driving in one day. Unfortunately the economy is killing us right now & every penny counts, so getting a hotel even for one night would be be a hardship. I also have a nearly 2yr old DD to worry about with no family in the area. I would feel terrible putting her in the car for 2 hours each way if I could avoid it.

Most folks don't get to 'the point where I know I need' testing without some heartache along the way.

Try as I might I am not sure what you mean by this. Quite frankly I have had a life filled with struggle & heartache. I understand that there is no way for you to know this & I am trying not to take offense. I am just trying to find some help.

id reccomend you call Susan T Berry of Glastonbury CT which is outside of hartford. 860 633 3006 She seem very kind supportive and knowlegable when i talked with her. sorry i was unclear above. no ofence intended. i was hoping to remind you that all the aggrivation of getting the testing will be worth it if thing go reasonably well. love and more love....grinity btw there is a wonderful childrens science museum if you make the trip...

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Val Offline
    Have you called the psychology departments at Smith, Amherst, or Mount Holyoke? I expect that at least one of them might have students do IQ testing as part of a class. If they don't, someone at one of the departments might have a suggestion for you.

I don't know if Hampshire College has a traditional psych. department, and UMASS is pretty big an so getting through to someone might be harder. But I'd say you should be able to get some advice at at least one of the five colleges.

Val

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM