Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 401 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    We are having this discussion at length when looking for curriculum for my DD. On one hand is moving quickly through middle school curriculum such as social studies and what little science she has left. On the other is choosing high school materials and taking more time with them.

It appears that most history is spiral, same topics repeated in more detail. My arguement is to just allow her to go through the higher material in greater depth and go back to anything she might need more information on. She has successfully completed most of Michigan history at a high school level. It was that or third grade level because of the way they changed the textbooks. I couldn't see that happening.

We have compromised with science to a point for summer. If she completes all of the sixth grade information (she did almost all of fifth in the last month) I will let her pick a science to teach next. She chose Biology of Plants, by Glencoe. It's an AP high school science course but states that it requires little prior knowledge and no pre-reqs. Because it is something she chose and wants to do I have little doubt she will be successful with it, but it opens a whole new can of worms.

I will not compromise on math, she will continue as fast as she wants but will go through ALEKS in order as recommended and we will re-evaluate for other materials as needed.

Sorry this is so long, I guess I'm second guessing myself again. I know I took high school Biology in seventh grade in private school and did fine but as a parent... must be my denial showing again? Any thoughts?

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    I
    I
    On one hand is moving quickly through middle school curriculum such as social studies and what little science she has left. On the other is choosing high school materials and taking more time with them.
    I like the idea of taking more time with high school materials. Sounds like it would set a good foundation for being a life-long learner. smile

Once I began traveling as an adult, I realized how little I had really learned in Social Studies. If you have a giftie who loves SS, you can start really studying various countries and civilizations in more depth. School really does a readers' digest version of it all.

My daughter has disliked SS until this year. She loves the way her teacher instructs (yea). We have filled in quite a bit - mostly through travel and Girl Scout badges and this is done in a really fun way.

L
    L
    I always used the higher grade level materials and it worked well for us because my son's reading ability and comprehension were high enough that it wasn't a problem. We didn't have a lot of money and we just used whatever books we had, even his sister's college level textbooks for some things. My son likes well written books with high level vocabulary and books that make him think, that he can discuss with me or his dad. We are currently reading the book "Lies My Teacher Told Me." I think this was a book that Austin recommended and when I saw it at the Barnes & Noble I got it. My son complained that I only bought bargain bin books unless someone on the message board recommended them and he wondered if he could PM Austin with a list of books he wanted but couldn't talk me into getting because they were not marked down. He thinks he might have better luck if he can get Austin or someone else on the board to recommend them. I also heard him mutter something about Dave Ramsey when I told him he could only pick out one book. We just can't afford to buy every book he would like to have and I do appreciate the suggestions I have gotten on this board.

My son really likes "Lies My Teacher Told Me--Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong" and it is going to be slow reading because it is provoking a lot of discussion. He and I are both enjoying it.

My son has always liked social studies and I used to wonder if his time would be better spent on more math or something more useful, but my husband and I took him to a few sessions of a video gaming conference at a community college where he was the only kid in the audience. He was able to listen intently without getting bored because he had the necessary background knowledge to understand what the speakers were talking about. He understood the vocabulary they were using and the references to history and economics and even geography when the speaker talked about where a lot of American jobs were going and the need to learn foreign languages if you want to have a better chance of keeping your job. He especially liked the discussion about gaming and free speech and censorship issues.

The only problem, if you can call it a problem, is that your child might talk more like an adult, might not fit in as well with other kids. There are people in my town that think I was wrong for letting my son learn too much above grade level and not trying harder to make him fit in the box. They seem to think I am guilty of contributing to the geekiness of a minor.

I didn't make my son go through math in order and maybe that was a mistake that he will pay for later but so far I don't see any problem. I am always second guessing myself on that one.

Lori,
    As I read through the forums and e-lists in which I participate I usually have a second window open to my local library webpage. As I see books recommended, I put book requests in at the library. It provides me with a regular supply of good reading material and reduces my bookstore expenses.

Summer

L
    L
    Unfortunately, the town I live in doesn't have a library.

I am sorry, Lori. I don't know if I could afford to live in a town without a library. I would not be able to support my daughter's book habit.

Summer

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM