Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 179 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #45271 04/22/09 10:20 AM
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    I think the school may have used a WJ cognitive abilities test on one of the kids this week. Curious - unlike the WJ achievement tests - is it "really" and I mean "really" an IQ assessment for a 5 year old?

Thoughts?

I don't know what you mean by "really," but it is on the list of qualifying IQ tests for DYS, if that helps:

http://www.davidsongifted.org/young...holars___Qualification_Criteria_384.aspx

S
    S
    My ds6 had this recently - a couple months ago - done by the school psych along with the WJ achievement testing as part of the evals leading up to his latest IEP.

She never did give me a final IQ number, though I don't really care at this point (he's still developing at a rapid rate; long story. very late bloomer). I didn't care much for the way the test is organized - it seemed like some subtests relied too much on things that belonged in other sections (like working memory and processing speed). See Hoagies re: this test - mentions that it's a bit heavy on auditory processing abilities.

Oddly enough, ds scored significantly higher (about a standard deviation higher) on the WJ achievement test than he did on the cognitive. In part, he's very rapidly developing and there was a few weeks between the tests. But still, it doesn't make sense. The psych had no answer as to why. I suspect it was not a test that suits him well. When I have him tested privately down the road, I'll probably be looking to do the WISC or the SB-5.

If you search this site, you'll find a post by me asking much the same question, and I recall that the WJ cognitive may be much better at finding LDs (which was why it was given to my ds) than at finding an accurate IQ score with regard to giftedness. here it is http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....hievement_vs_IQ_quick_que.html#Post41907

The school psych started to throw around comments about the WJ cognitive as being the only one that relies on some particular theory of intelligence, i.e., in her opinion it's somehow a true-er IQ test than the others, but that's not what other stuff I read said (someplace I read something indicating that it relies on a theory of intelligence that's not as accepted as whatever underlies the other IQ tests).

Last edited by snowgirl; 04/22/09 11:24 AM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs