Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    #45218 04/21/09 05:50 PM
    For us, it has always seemed like ds misses enough days with bad colds, the flu, one time a minor surgery and so on. I would hate to feel like I'd used up good graces on being out of school with a vacation when a yucky cold might be right around the corner...

My sister sometimes does pull her kids the very last couple days of school for an early summer beach trip, after assessing whether anything very very important is going on and their previous attendance, so that doesn't seem too terrible.

chris1234 #45226 04/21/09 06:41 PM
    We pull grandson for 4-5 days(combined) in Oct & Nov to go to cattle shows. It's part of our business, and he has an interest in the business with his own cattle now. We take his schoolwork and usually work in some extra educational activities.

OHGrandma #45242 04/21/09 09:45 PM
    sfb Offline
    I have to say that i also agree it depends on the kid and trip... and the school. While we try to plan family vacations during non-school times, we've been fortunate enough to be able to piggy-back on my husband's work trips a couple of years running and, since those dates are set, we have to live with the fact that we are pulling the boys out of school.

Granted, it's only 1st and pre-school now (was K and daycare last time, so the latter didn't so much matter), and it may be harder as they get older, but for 10 days out of school - the opportunity to see a foreign culture, landmarks and experience different worlds - i see that as a no contest decision. The school has been very supportive and the teachers have been very willing to send homework for work that will be missed(usually gets done on the plane out!) and to request a "presentation" of the trip upon return. that seems like an absolute fair trade, and he (1st grader, which is really the most applicable) usually catches up so quickly when we return anyway, it's definitely worth it.

FWIW.

sfb #45265 04/22/09 09:20 AM
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I am on the fence. I know people who pull their kids 1-2 times per year to go to Disney. Now granted, I'm sure it's 100 times better when school is in session, it's not something that *I* will pull my kids out of school for. I "hear" these same people say, "she/he's only in elementary school", etc.

For me personally, that sets up precedence that school is not as important as fun things. And fun should always come first.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I really believe in the philosophy of "you only live once". And while I will refuse to take my kids out of school each year for Disney, I did pull DS5 (who is ONLY <note sarcasm> in pre-K) out for 2 days this past week because my brother was getting married in Key West. While that is a "fun" thing, it's also a very important family thing. So for the work related and/or educational trips, I might not "turn my nose up". But I don't think that I would do them several times each year, every year, personally.

JJsMom #45278 04/22/09 12:31 PM
    It is ironic that you ask this question! My DD9 requested a Disney weekend for her bday and it will involve one day away from school. We leave soon. I "thumb my nose" (is this a real phrase) typically at this kind of thing, but it was hard to coordinate my schedule with my husband's - so we are taking them out of school just for a day. I think that it is important for us to have family time away from work and housework, etc., it will hold us parents captive. For more than a day or so to Disney I would not do, I think. But, a trip overseas, or to something else cultural, yes. If we could travel to Japan, my DD's dream, then we would have done that, instead!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM