Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    Belle Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    sometimes I feel like banging my head on the wall...my son has had an IEP since he was 3 for both speech and OT.
    Last year I called a meeting at the end of the year IEP meeting and asked for gifted and/or achievement testing to be done since he would be going into kindergarten...they said that we would have to wait until he was a K student to do any testing....so at the beginning of this years IEP meeting, I again requested it. The whole group "ganged" up on me and stated that "it would be a total waste of time" completing gifted testing on my son since he was being homeschooled and they would not be able to offer any gifted services for him (with budget cuts, homeschooled students can no longer receive gifted services)so they all stated that it would not be in his best interest. I felt totally sideswiped and left with my tail between my legs despite the fact that I knew, by law, I had a right to demand testing. Fast forward to the past few weeks....his speech teacher has been completing some assessment called the Battelle on him and it basically took several hours (all off and on over a few weeks) to complete. She said he ceilinged out the test on every subsection and the test is normed up to age 7.5 (my son is 6)...she said she had no doubt in her mind he is highly gifted. I started to make mental notes of exactly what I wanted to bring up at the end of the year IEP meeting and that I will stand my ground and demand testing to be done no matter what they whine about with homeschooling.
    Well, today, I got a call from the speech teacher saying that she is dreadfully sorry to say but that my son's IEP was out of compliance as of today since they were supposed to have called his end of the year eval meeting before this date. She then had the NERVE to state that this was the first time that she had actually read his IEP - and she had been giving services to him ALL YEAR LONG???? So she begged if I could please be at school tomorrow afternoon for his IEP meeting so that everyone can sign off so that they were in compliance. I was completely put off by the whole thing - like this was a massive rush to get down and then she sounded totally annoyed that I actually had an agenda that I wanted to discuss at the meeting. I told her that it wasn't my job to keep track of his eval meetings and that I didn't appreciate being given a one days notice to try to get my poor husband to leave work early so that he could come home to be with my son. She then whined about how hopefully she had a job after tomorrow since he was out of compliance and all I could think is...gee..just how much do you actually care about the needs of my son over the needs of whether or not a piece of paper is signed???

F
    F
    Wow! That ST is not very bright. She fessed up to not looking at your son's IEP - she should be canned. If this happened to me I would call the state dept of ed and report the ST and the school. You may want to consider filing for a "due process" hearing.
    Belle, hearing things like this really steams me. I feel your pain and wish I could battle this one out for you. Sadly, that CST may only change it's tune if you get an attorney involved. Working as I do with ps CSTs I have seen them change plans the very second an attorney communicates with them. I've seen them change their tune at even the threat of an attorney. Isn't that just really sad?
    You may want to demand that the school provide you with data from the ST & OT sessions. You want the actual hard data not a summary. Data collection on all IEP goals is required by law. I bet they have none. You may have a really good case against them, and I bet they just may be willing to test your son once they find out you have them over a barrel.
    Good luck!

Last edited by FrustratedNJMOM; 04/17/09 09:00 AM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM