Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    K
    K
    Wow - that is stunning. I am so sorry for all your trouble. And that from a private school, no less!? If it's at all comforting, homeschooling has been a wonderful fit for my 2nd grade son. Much better than a single grade skip, which may have felt like a band aid for a broken leg. It sounds like your daughter may have been in a similar place.

Much sympathy headed your way!

B
    B
    Oh, how sad. We too have gotten nowhere with acceleration, and our son is likely only moderately gifted (we've done no IQ testing yet - it's just my guess), so one grade-skip may have actually solved everything. Now the principal sits in on every parent-teacher conference and we hear constantly about what a problem his behavior is. Well, gee, what do you expect when he has to spell a dozen words he already proved he knows by stamping one letter at a time?!

But, of course, "every parent thinks their child is gifted."

Harumph.

Your post brought tears to my eyes. Print it and include it in your application to DYS, won't you? It should feature prominently!

Welcome. Let us know if we can help in any way. So sorry for all that you've been through!

Kriston
    J
    J
    I'm so frustrated for you! I'm about to start that process with my DS (4) and am afraid that I'm going to have just as much luck as you. And I'll cry just like you.

So you are doing homeschool for sure next year? I wonder if they are so intimidated by her that they're secretly happy that you're pulling her out.

You pushy parent you smile

M
    M
    And administrators actually wonder why we end up pulling our kids and homeschooling. Hell o!

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    I agree, I would not pay to send my child to that school. Start investigating what your options are with public school. Because of liability, they can sometimes be convinced to be more flexible, but that's depending on state laws and policies.

I'd like to say don't cry, but it really is okay to cry........or sit in the back of a dark closet with a bottle of vodka???? grin

You know what would be funny......if at the point when they said: "you're one of those pushy parents who would be having their child do calculus at 10", you countered with:

"You are CRAZY.................I would not even let her attempt it until she is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

laugh

Originally Posted by incogneato
    "You are CRAZY.................I would not even let her attempt it until she is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROFL. I have to remember this one. It may come handy one day.

LMom
    LMom #44716 04/15/09 05:17 PM
    I'm glad we can chuckle about these things. For the record, I surely don't see either of my DD's doing calculus at 12! grin

I never did either. But now that I'm thinking DS7 may be doing algebra in the next year, and geometry was a walk in the park for him, it seems less crazy than it used to...

And don't get me started about crazy DS4 and his arithmetic...

Hey, scootch over in the closet and quit hogging the bottle, will you? GT denial beckons!

wink

Kriston
    LMom #44726 04/15/09 06:15 PM
    S
    S-T Offline
    S
    Wow! TFS your story trout! I find myself waiting for the "best" part (that finally someone in school will get it) but it didn't come. frown I was still optimistic when I came to the part when u approached the other school. What a let down! and a lousy excuse (politics!).

Since u are open to HS, go for it! smile

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs