Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    floridamom #45282 04/22/09 01:59 PM
    R
    R
    Hi floridamom,

I registered just to reply to your posting!!

I grew up with OCD and have been on SSRIs since I was 18. I had no idea I had OCD when I was younger; since both of my parents have it, I figured it was normal.

My youth was awful, but it had nothing to do with my parents - I was so tormented. I was a straight A student, high school valedictorian, but would spend hours every night secretly doing rituals, even as a small child.

Then, when I finally learned I had severe OCD and I was put on SSRIs, my life changed - suddenly, I could smile, laugh, and it would take me maybe 30 minutes instead of 4 hours to go to bed. I have had a wonderful life since I have been taking the SSRIs!!

My one wish is that I had taken them when I was younger - honestly, it would have changed my life. I really do feel that my life began when I turned 18. It's SO hard having OCD - I would not wish it on anyone! It takes a little while to get used to the SSRIs (a few weeks) but after that, life becomes beautiful smile

I'm now a teacher and loving every minute of life! I'm curious to know what happens - good luck with everything!

Rachelle27 #45631 04/27/09 05:39 AM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Thank you for your post! "tormented" is the word that most describes my son. It hurts me that he seems so tormented all the time. He also takes a LOOOONG time to go to bed. Drives me nuts. We have got it down to about an hour process.

We recognized the OCD as early as 2 yrs old. I really appreciate hearing from someone with ocd that has found ssri's so helpful. I am 99% sure we will go ahead with it, but it is scary for me. We have our 2nd opinion appointment on 5/4. If this psychiatrist agrees with the therapist's diagnosis, than he will prescribe the meds.

A co-worker of mine is in her 50's & on ssri's. She said she wishes her mom or someone would have recognized her problem when she was a child. She said that if she would have been on ssri's from a young age, she would have become the Dr. she was meant to be. Of course, these drugs have only been available for about 8 yrs, so that was not an option for her.

I would love to hear more from you, Rachelle27. Any other info you can provide would be helpful.

Thanks!!

floridamom #46702 05/05/09 05:58 PM
    Hi Floridamom -

Just wanted to say it's great that you are looking into ways to help your son with his anxiety and OCD behaviors. While I think you are on the right track looking for possible medication to help with these issues, I would say that you are wise to be a little cautious. Some people do not react to meds in the expected ways. Sometimes this means they need more or less of the medication than "usual" and sometimes it means they react in ways that suggest a different diagnosis.

As a parent with lots of experience dealing with mental health issues with more than one kid, I would suggest that you start a log of your son's behaviors and meds, assuming he starts some. Doesn't have to be complicated but it will be very helpful to you in the long run. Tracking changes in problem behaviors and meds can sometimes provide information and insights you would not otherwise have discovered.

Here's the things I would consider tracking if I were you:

1)any special/unusual problems or events that day (for example - attended bday party, big melt down, sick w/cold),
    2) assign a number to the level of problematic OCD behaviors you saw that day (doesn't matter what scale as long as it's flexible enough to accommodate extremes of behaviors and easy to use - for example maybe 1=few problems 2= moderate problems 3= many problems 4=off the charts)
    3)assign a number to his apparent anxiety if you think it would be helpful to track that separately (hint - use the same scale for all the things you're tracking with a number)
    4)assign a number for his highest and lowest mood states of the day (this may be important as SSRI's can affect moods in unexpected ways - you want to be aware of possible depression and/or up/agitated/manic type behaviors or language)
    5)what meds he had that day including anything unusual like cold meds or antibiotics,
    6)anything else you think might be helpful to track (like how long it took to get him to bed that night) that would give you concrete evidence that the meds were or were not helping.

If you're tech savvy, you can set it up as a spreadsheet and enter your data directly into the spreadsheet. Then you can make lovely charts of the scores to help look for patterns over time.

His doctors will love you and you will get a lot of information that may be very helpful as you figure out how best to help your son.

Best wishes

Patricia - HS mom to 13 yo twins
    J - 2E, Crohn's, HoH, Dyspraxia, Bipolar/ASD?
    E - 2E, Aud Process+
    rlsnights #49140 06/10/09 12:25 PM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Sorry it took me so long to respond. DS7 started his meds 7 weeks ago & LIFE IS GOOD!! What a dramatic change we have in our home. He is still the same kid, but now the OCD is very managable if not completely gone. He still gets mad occassionally, but now it is not extreme & he is over it & happy again in 2 minutes. I can have a reasonable discussion with him about behavior & later watch him implement what I said. He is the 1st to apologize to his little brother when they argue. He shares more, and is more relaxed & always upbeat & happy. He is no longer worried, controlling, violent,argumentative or anxious. Bedtime is a breeze. That has been the biggest change.

He is on the lowest dose of risperadol at night & the lowest dose of zoloft in the morning. I am very happy that I went ahead with it. Although, when I gave him that 1st pill, I went in the bathroom & cried. I felt like I was selling out. But, I feel differently now. I did it for him & he is happy & enjoying life. A far cry from where he was 2 months ago.

He is a mature, caring, compassionate, thoughtful 7 yr old. I am so proud of him.

F
    OP Offline
    F
    Thank you!! I haven't been able to speak about it much since we decided to keep it in the family. But, yes, I have found him & he is a wonderful child. We already knew he was gifted, but worried he would never reach his full potential because he had so much trouble with his fear of failure, and his controlling, difficult behavior.

Your son sounds just like mine. Good luck with going off the meds. I have a son who I never knew existed & now I can't wait to see him after school, etc. Before, I would have to emotionally prep myself for a battle that I knew we would have before even reaching home.

It's not for every child, but exactly what he needed to thrive & be happy.

Keep me posted with how it goes. I am dreading the possibility that going off the meds in a year or so will mean the old behavior & anxious thoughts will return. I would like to hear how your son does.

Good Luck!!!

floridamom #49150 06/10/09 01:31 PM
    J
    J
    Well done Floridamom!

floridamom #50301 07/02/09 05:12 AM
    S
    san54
    Unregistered
    san54
    Unregistered
    S
    Hi. I'm so glad to hear this update as I've been thinking of you from time to time. Our son's behavior was exactly like your son's. I understand how draining this is on all in the family. The joy is in seeing these kids be liberated from OCD and the emotional suffering it causes. Thanks for letting us know this good news. - San

#50324 07/02/09 12:58 PM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Thank you. We all couldn't be happier. He is great!

floridamom #50355 07/03/09 04:32 AM
    T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Just wanted to day that I am so happy for you and your family floridamom smile

Tiz #50568 07/09/09 12:22 PM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Thanks so much!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years