Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 420 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    MsFriz #41555 03/16/09 08:11 AM
    S
    S
    DS4 does that from time to time, he used to do it more several months ago. Sometimes he will make up words and instist that they are words, sometimes he will make up a word and then tell me "that means _________ in Spanish" I minored in spanish so I can usually tell when he is making stuff up. Lately he is into making up expressions and insisting they are expressions. He was sick this weekend and said to me "mom I am really topped" Apparently that means that he is really exhausted and not feeling well. He makes expressions up all the time, but he generally doesn't use them more than once so I never know what he is talking about. He always insists "It's just an expression mom." He has made up some interesting expressions. Who knows....maybe I will hear others saying them eventually. And also, my DS really enjoys foreign languages and knows quite a bit of Spanish. That can be really fun with kids like this. Or introducing a word a day.

shellymos #41556 03/16/09 08:16 AM
    One of my college students once wrote "To coin a cliche'..." which I found hilarious, but maybe that's what your DS4 is really doing, Shelly!

LOL!

Kriston
    shellymos #41558 03/16/09 08:26 AM
    Originally Posted by shellymos
    Sometimes he will make up words and instist that they are words, sometimes he will make up a word and then tell me "that means _________ in Spanish"

We get this too, but the language is a made-up one related to DS5's imaginary world "that means ______ in gork language" or something like that. DS5 is also big into making up his own magic spells � la Harry Potter, so we get a lot of fun made-up words there (a favorite spell is buttafloorus).

We recently went to the speech therapist on referral from the school district. As DS demonstrated his spells and told her a bunch of stories about his made-up world, the speech therapist smiled and took notes. Turns out his speech is fine for his age, but his age appropriate missing "r" is made more troublesome by his extensive and unexpected vocabulary and his made-up language.

st pauli girl #41585 03/16/09 10:26 AM
    DS6 used to to do this as well, speak with his invisible friend

Kriston #41590 03/16/09 10:47 AM
    S
    S
    LOL Kriston, yes that must be it. My favorite part is that he acts as if when he uses one of his "expressions" that I should know exactly what it means. They way in which he says "it's an expression mom" when I ask him about it...kind of like "duh!" cracks me up every time. I have explained to him that expressions are generally said by more than one person, but he insists that if it makes sense to him, it can be an expression LOL. He was sick this weekend and here was a conversation we had as he was laying in bed at night with a fever, in a semi-lucid state : (

DS: Boy mom, I am just topped

Me: Huh, I don't know what that means

DS: I don't know what it means either but you know the highest you can get, like the very top of something...that's how I feel...like I can't go any higher

Me: So you mean you are feeling pretty sick and tired?

DS: Yes, that's what I mean.

shellymos #41592 03/16/09 11:03 AM
    K
    K
    That is too funny. My DD4 does the exact same thing. She insists she knows Spanish. She makes up little expressions all the time. Today it's "whacker". She just said to her brother "That's hilarious, you little whacker" among it's 20 other uses today. Whatever that means. crazy

kimck #41624 03/16/09 01:43 PM
    Love these! So funny! laugh

Kriston
    #41627 03/16/09 02:20 PM
    Originally Posted by Sean
    Some of my friends at rio rancho mid-high have made a new language called "carnie". I not sure how to speak it that good.
    I know that I is Ezi and Hippo would be Hezipezo. I think it's perfectly normal for gifted kids like myself to create languages.

Hi, Sean, welcome! This language sounds very fun, easy-peazy is what I thought when I read Hezipezo...

great stories from all, very interesting! I was thinking the same thing Kriston - sounds like kids crying out for a foreign language, or introduction to the enigma code...hm.

#44313 04/11/09 09:32 PM
    R
    R
    I wonder if he would take to the real gibberish, someone taught it to me a long time ago and I found it very helpful when wanting to talk to someone in private when the room was full of people.
    the rules of gibberish are simple to learn and with pratice a gifted person should be speaking an entire new language within weeks.
    it's all about manipulating the sounds of the word rather saying it how it "looks" if written down.
    cat = at-ce pronounced at-key the sounds of the original word are preserved but the letters before the first vowel in the word are put to the end of the word and a vowel is placed behind it
    string = ing-stre
    it makes it fun when you come to worlds like refridgerator where you can break it up into the sylables (sp)
    (e-re idge-fre ator-re)
    the joy of this language is that most people simply can't understand it when it's spoken fluently.

Just a thought anyways,,, worked well for me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM