Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 342 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    Hi everyone...I've been lurking around and reading, and would like to see if anyone could advise regarding my DD. She is 9 y/o in 4th grade. Although she's been in g/t programs since 2nd grade, I didn't fully understand until fairly recently that g/t programs vary widely, may not provide her with what she really needs academically or otherwise and that it's up to me to find her the kind of programming she needs. I don't want to come across as a picky elitist with champagne tastes on a Wild Irish Rose pocketbook, because I'm really only a mom that wants to help her child.

She took her 1st EXPLORE in Feb. and her scores reflected what I had figured....that she is definitely gifted, but not PG. She got around the same scores as the fall 8th grade scores used for comparison, with the exception of doing better in English. This doesn't surprise me, as my Documents folder is full of her short stories, plans for her different business schemes, and musings. crazy Haven't got the packet that helps interpret the scores yet.

My main question is how to figure out what kind of enrichment she really needs and how to get it for her. We live in rural Ohio and programming around here is pretty sparse for these kind of kids. I wonder if it would benefit her to get an IEP (or are those only for kids at the extreme ends of giftedness/disability?)or if the school would give me a hard time about getting her one. I have not brought this up to her g/t teacher. This teacher, while good at her job and enthusiastic, says she has never had a student take the EXPLORE till now, and quite honestly seems to kind of play dumb as far as knowing what's out there and informing parents about it.

I cobbled together and sacrificed all the extra $ I had to send her to the Summer Institute for the Gifted this year, but there has to be something else I can do to help her the other 49 weeks of the year. The tuitions for schools for the gifted, CTY gifted learning links, etc. have led me to the conclusion that this kind of learning is only for the wealthy. As a working single mom and college student, I am neither wealthy nor able to home school.

DD was actually turned down for a scholarship to SIG because the granting institution (not SIG themselves, SIG actually gave her a partial scholarship) felt that, while she qualified both academically and financially, the amount they would fund was not enough to make any difference - so they wouldn't fund her at all. What kind of %&$# is that? Is this the norm when trying to get assistance so your kid doesn't fall through the cracks because she's neither profoundly disabled nor PG?

Sorry for the rant - this is just really frustrating. Thanks for any help!

L
    L
    You may have seen this already but have you checked on Aleks http://www.aleks.com

I had originally wanted to try EPGY or CTY Math classes but DH was outraged at the price to be paid for two engineers to teach a kid elementary math. Aleks turned out to be a good alternative, pricewise since we didn't need an advisor/tutor. I'm a fan so far. It's not as pretty graphics wise but it does the job and we do a lot on our whiteboards for the problem working which is a big hit (sometimes comes with extra doodles). I like the assessments as well because they are teaching DD8 that's it OK to miss problems. So far it has caught her few problem areas and had her rework a few topics that I had noted as needing to review if she happened to get them right by luck on the assessment.

Last edited by mschaff; 04/03/09 09:16 AM.
    Welcome, walkingon!
    The question you're asking is crucial - how do we get what we need for our DC's (Dear Children)?
    If you search previous posts on this board, you'll find that there are multiple ways we parents are trying to find what our kids need. Some will grade-skip or accelerated in certain subjects, some are homeschooled, some are involved in distance education, some do a combo of all of these.

Start with what is available in your current environment - in your town, your school system. From your post, I couldn't figure out what your DD'd explore scores were - do you mean 50th %tile for 8th grade norms, as a 4th grader? If so, those are really good scores. I would share the scores with your school, and see if they can accelerate or grade-skip, or at least supplement your DD's school experience in some way.

We have done distance learning on-line, and this has been a great experience (though expen$ive). Our talent search has Satuday programs that have been terrific. I'm a big believer in learning a musical instrument. DD plays violin, and is quite good for an 11 year old (she made All-State orchestra this year).
    We also go to the symphony, museums, travel to historic places, etc. etc. etc. Is it enough? No, but we are doing what we can at this point for DD and DS.... Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by walkingon
    Hi everyone...I've been lurking around and reading, and would like to see if anyone could advise regarding my DD. She is 9 y/o in 4th grade. Although she's been in g/t programs since 2nd grade, I didn't fully understand until fairly recently that g/t programs vary widely, may not provide her with what she really needs academically or otherwise and that it's up to me to find her the kind of programming she needs.

Or they might be exactly what she needs...how does one tell?

Is she happy?
    Does she like school?
    Does she like the gifted program?
    When she went to SIG, was it the year she was with older kids or younger kids?
    How would she compare SIG to regular school and to the school's gifted program?
    Is she willing to do things that might single her out as 'a nerd' or 'a smart girl?'
    Is she willing to try things that she might not be immediatly good at?

that my list...what's your's?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    opps - I forgot one - does she have friends? What's kinds of interactions does she have with her classmates?

wink

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grins,

I bet you have list hanging all over your house, but I agree.

It's impossible for us to know what your DD needs. We can give you ideas but ultimately you are the one that knows her. Because of her age, I'd be inclined to ask her what she thinks. Does she like school? Is she being challenged or mailing it in?

I also agree with your observation that you seem to need wealth to support a GT kid. Many of us here have found creative ways around that. Because believe me there are many on this board who can't finance a GT education.

Chin up! You can make it work!!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    K
    K
    If you school provides gt services then presumably is collecting $ for units of gt services from the state... then they have to be in compliance with ODE's gift rule passed last year... which is 225 minutes a week and a WEP (I think that is the term not IEP so it is legally less actionable but at least some thing in writing is good).

Go to ODE (ohio dept of ed) and search up "gifted rule" It was passed last year. Also you may have a contact person who oversees a region of gt people. I have found that you can actually talk to a person at ODE - who knew - and its super easy. Also google up Ohio Assoc. of Gifted Children (OAGC) and make sure you are getting their blurps. There is a gifted charter (free) in the cleveland area. The options in the Cinci area - from what I know - are $$$. But don't kick yourself, by in large - gifted education isn't something you can always fix with money. A lot of private schools around here don't do any more/better than public for gt kids.

W
    OP Offline
    W
    Thanks for your replies. I'm still a little new to this level of g/t stuff, and the amount of information is overwhelming. It makes me second-guess myself about whether I'm doing right by her. She does enjoy going to her g/t class at school, and really likes the teacher. The only thing I don't like about her g/t program at her school is that it pulls the kids out for nearly a full day one day a week. They are then responsible for doing the days' work that they missed in regular class at home, and it's usually due the next day. (Sure wish it was 1/2 day, 2 days a week).

Kickball - what do you mean by "blurps"? I am familiar with the OAGC, but am clueless about the blurp. :~) Thanks for the tip about ODE - I'll be checking that out.

Ok, here's her EXPLORE scores, if anyone has any thoughts:

Composite: 14 (50%)

English: 15 (67%)
    Usage/Mechanics: 09 (81%)
    Rhetorical Skills: 06 (47%)

Mathematics: 14 (41%)

Reading: 13 (54%) <--Whaaat? Her Lexile had her in the 99th percentile, and she LOVES to read.

Science: 15 (45%)

Thanks to everyone who replied - you have given me a lot to chew on. It's a relief to know that maybe I really don't have to be rich or Supermom to get her the education she needs.

P. S. She has not gone to SIG yet - this is her 1st year and she's counting the days until she can "go to college". I have already told her odds are, unless she can get a scholarship, she won't be going back next year because it's just too expensive. Better to have the experience for one summer than never. My reason behind sending her was not so much for the academics as to expose her to a college experience early on.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs