Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #43715 04/03/09 11:36 AM
    C
    cletus Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Hello,

I'm new here and am wondering how to interpret my DS9's recent EXPLORE results. The results we received rank him against 8th graders but I'm wondering how he fits in to the gifted population (moderate,HG, PG??) so that I can figure out how best to advocate for him.

His school does have a general gifted program but also has one for the top 2%. Are there websites I've missed? Or I can post his scores here or I can email but wasn't sure what was appropriate.

Thanks for any help!!

C
    cletus Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Ok--here's his EXPLORE scores--he's 9 and currently in 4th grade.

Composite: 19 (90%)
    English: 22 (96%)
    usage/mechanics: 10 (93%)
    rhetorical: 11 (99%)
    Mathmatics: 17 (75%)
    Reading: 18 (88%)
    Science: 20 (94%)

I understand that this looks good compared to the 8th grade norms but not sure of how this compares to his grade. Our district does have a special gifted program for the upper 2% that he didn't test into last year but now he seems so bored at school and is starting to have trouble--not turning in assignments, sloppy work to get done fast to go play/read, reading under his desk, etc.)

If it helps here's his CogAT scores from the beginning of 3rd grade:
    Composite: 135
    Verbal: 134
    Quantitative: 134
    Nonverbal: 121

My overall impression/guess is that he's probably moderately gifted but not profoundly which I think is what the special gifted program is for. He's one of those kids who is great at learning facts but doesn't have the natural creativity as to how to apply those facts. But I really don't know! I have nothing to compare him to. That's how I'm hoping you all can help me!

Thanks again!

L
    L
    Honestly I'm curious about Dottie's question as well. I googled lots of different "gifted" programs because I was irritated our districts cutoff scores, but I would think those would have made it into most.

E
    E
    Hi,

I've been reading this post with interest because I too am new to the forum and am trying to make sense of my DS's EXPLORE scores. I don't want to hijack this post but I'm wondering if I can presume upon you also, Dottie.

I've just begun homeschooling my son because we've been having behavior problems in the classroom that sound similar to cletus's. My DS has been reading books (though not too secretly) through instruction and telling the teacher that he didn't think he need to listen to the topic she was discussing because he "knows it already." He is also an Aspberger's kid and his rigidity makes it more difficult for him to accept the fact that he must wait on the others in the class or learn something he's already familiar with.

He's 10 (almost 11) and in 5th grade.

Anyhow, his EXPLORE scores are:

Composite 19
    English 19
    Usage/Mechanics 10
    Rhetorical Skills 08
    Mathematics 20
    Reading 16
    Science 20

I'm kind of surprised that his reading/english score is lower than the math and science. He's such an avid reader and has scored higher at other times.

Also, we recently had him tested on the Weschler and his Full Scale Score was 138. Verbal 128, Perceptual Reasoning 131, Working memory 126, processing speed 131.

He took the Terra Nova in 2nd grade (3 years ago) and tested at the 99th percentile and 90th percentile in language. Math 99% Total score 99% Science 98% and Social Studies 99%. I imagine this is "at grade level" testing which accounts for the scores. That is why I wanted him to take the EXPLORE to assess at a higher ceiling level.

Also, this year's school reading assessment (NWEA) had him in the 1100's for Lexile reading score. I can't remember what the other score was without digging through the mound on my desk.

Anyhow, Dottie, or anyone knowledgeable on the subject for that matter, can you give me some perspective? I am trying to figure out how best to school my DS and whether or not to continue homeschooling. He's begged for it for 2 years but is no missing his friends a bit. Our district has NO gifted program and though they are somewhat willing to "accomodate" us I'm not sure how much that will help us. They suggested working ahead in math or attending the next grade level in math. My only thought is, what about the other subjects in which he does well? Anyone have thoughts?

So there's our dirty laundry for all to see. It feels weird to but it all out there but I am so thankful to have found somewhere to ask these questions as I really am hesitant to talk to friends and the school kind of has their own agenda.

Thank you so much!

B
    B
    Since you mentioned it, I was wondering, what do lexile scores mean? My daughter also received a lexile score. Could someone give me a nice chart or something so I can see where she lines up? (I believe she goes higher than high school, so you might already have to know about it to give a good answer)

B
    B

Thanks for the link, unfortunately, her score is above those listed on the chart.

E
    E
    Thank you, thank you Dottie! You are a wealth of knowledge. I so appreciate the information.

Re. the school situation--it seems there is little ability grouping until high school in our district. This is the problem as I see it. He is kind of stuck in a track based solely on age, not ability. I am not opposed to homeschooling until high school if necessary, but it makes me kind of sad that he needs to choose between an education that fits him and friends.

Since there is no gifted program at all, I feel we have fewer options. The school seems very reluctant to accelerate him a full grade, worried that he will not fit in socially. (I guess I don't need to say it's hard to "fit in" with Aspbergers anyway since social cues are not his strong point.)

I don't want to throw him into an uncomfortable place dealing with kids a year older but I honestly think most of the 7th grade pre-teen angst will go over his head anyway.

I guess I should move this post to another topic area to continue this train of thought.

Thank you for all your help!

C
    cletus Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks for all the input! It really helped me get a better idea of where my child fits in and then how to advocate for him.

You guys are great!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM