Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    M
    M
    Best wishes on your new adventure, Movingup6! I hope you get your happy little guy back, and that you will soon be hearing all about DNA and Newton's laws and whatever else strikes his fancy! Homeschooling has been a great educational option for us--I'm so grateful that we can do this--and I hope it will be for you, too.

I'm sure it feels a lot better even to have made the decision--and now the fun starts! Enjoy your time together.

peace
    minnie

Q
    Q
    Originally Posted by minniemarx
    Best wishes on your new adventure, Movingup6! I hope you get your happy little guy back, and that you will soon be hearing all about DNA and Newton's laws and whatever else strikes his fancy! Homeschooling has been a great educational option for us--I'm so grateful that we can do this--and I hope it will be for you, too.

I'm sure it feels a lot better even to have made the decision--and now the fun starts! Enjoy your time together.

My thoughts exactly. smile

D
    D
    I hope homeschooling will work for their child. As a child and Gifted, I am the other end of the spectrum. After high school I used some college money and played the stock market in less then a year I had a million. This money is helping my brothers now. I was sometimes called "rain man" and for that reason my mom pulled me. (Wrong reason) I have found TX schools to have great Gifted programs. And by the way Los Almos and Rio Rancho are on the high end of New Mexico seating chart for Gifted Programs. I just wish PARENTS know how much power they had in their hands to "Change" the school districts way of thinking and work outside the box. I was looking for some great support on here, but what I have seen has been an attack on one's person. Not very nice, even if it looks like you tried later to be nice. This is the reason why others do not help "our" cause. For high, intriguing and well educated education for "Gifted" children.
    Very Disappointed
    Drew

Sorry about the disappointment Drew. You reap what you sow and so on and so forth. ((shrugging shoulders))

Hope you stick around and find something worthwhile.
    smile

Neato

If anyone has any doubts about Movingup6's motivation for homeschooling, or how hard she worked with the school to get what her child needs in a public school setting, or how much thought she has apparently put into this decision, then go back and read the first post in this thread. Her child is at risk if left in the public schools, and she doesn't have time to change things for the next child or generation -- her child is suffering NOW!

Good luck Movingup6!

OH Drew, I understand your sadness. From all that I read, I feel that the NMTECH mom was just trying to warn. (remember food taste different to everyone.) I know, what home schooling did for you and why you sponsor programs you do( work with Drew on change in Pubic Schools) Drew don't give up an all parents yet. You know with all the work that you have done to help your brothers and yourself, that not everyone is right and must have their own down falls in life to learn life lessons. Keep up your fight so that our tax money does not get wasted in the public school system. There are many of us that believe in you. I do think this place is a good support, if everyone is open minded.
    P.S. Emailed that other person for you, hoping for a respond. Could be your biggest Advocate yet.

Originally Posted by OHGrandma
    If anyone has any doubts about Movingup6's motivation for homeschooling, or how hard she worked with the school to get what her child needs in a public school setting, or how much thought she has apparently put into this decision, then go back and read the first post in this thread. Her child is at risk if left in the public schools, and she doesn't have time to change things for the next child or generation -- her child is suffering NOW!

Good luck Movingup6!

Indeed! smile

Our priority is not "tax money;" it's our own children. We are all very supportive of whatever solutions work for each family. Homeschooling is not for everyone, and that's fine. Every family, every child, every school option is different. We're not homeschool pushers here, just people trying to find workable solutions for our children. Second-guessing the solutions that others are trying--whatever those solutions may be--is pretty much never appreciated here. We're all about the support!

I'm sorry you think your parents made a mistake with homeschooling, Drew. I hope you do well in your life in spite of their error. You seem like a pretty resiliant person, so I have high hopes! smile

Kriston
    J
    J
    I have posted in the past of my experience with my now teen son and I had wished homeschooling would have been an option for me. Since I am the sole provider for my son, this was not a possibility. I cannot tell you what grief a parent and the child feels when a school district cannot open it's eyes and things get mixed up in politics high achievers and truely gifted and of small minds who have no idea how to entice a gifted and or gifted/adhd child to thrive.

Having a child left to their own devices because he/she will not follow the norm is very neglectful IMO.

I was a bit hesitant to respond to this post because there are many people who cannot understand that giftedness has it's own mixed set of blessings as successful people sometimes find themselves feeling quite alone.

D
    D
    Dear Just a mom,
    I understand your level of frustration. Not everyone has that option, and like in my case that was not the best option. My mom thought that it would be and it hurt me more then helped me.
    So in my case I help fight the "BIG WIGS" on what a Gifted Child needs. A REAL EDUCATION. I have made a lot of progress. But as you see in earlier post a lot of parents of "Gifted" get upset about the wrong stuff. I just made contact with the other person on this forum, ( the one they bit her head off)(flew to meet her and your committee even) and WOW. This mom goes out of her way to help hundreds of parents "FREE OF CHARGE" to find the right place for their child. Some times that did mean "homeschooling" but they were in combined settings with other parents.
    I don't mean to offend people on here, but Home schooling is not always the best option. And like you, for some that could not be the option, unless they want to live on welfare or make a lot of money early in life like I did. If you tell me what state you live in I could send you many contacts on who could be right for your child in education. Also I'm here in New Mexico meeting with that mom, and finding out a lot more information.
    P>S> Thanks 2more2go for sticking up for me and that mom. You know I don't like being around mean.

You seem to be pretty upset about that choice your mom made, Drew. Can you offer some specifics? Why was it a problem? What went so wrong?

What kind of homeschooling did your family practice? What sort of curriculum did you use?

Maybe you can help others to avoid making the same mistakes your family made by telling us more specifics about your experience.

Kriston
    Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs