Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Take the skip out of the equation. (Since it doesn't really belong there anyway...)

There is no truer statement. I have kids in my home that are way below grade level in certain subjects. You work with what you have. Whether it's a learning disability, age or lack of knowledge. Everyone finds it so easy to blame everything on skipping!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    E
    E
    Hmm, I totally agree that the art teacher is perhaps holding to a line in the sand that may not apply to your son. But, from the other side, if this is an art magnet school, can it be assumed that the level of art produced by the students may be above what would be expected in a normal 3rd grade art class? If so, in her mind the skip is probably not in the best interests of her class or your son. His art skills are not above average for his age based on the cousework she is teaching. Added, to that is that her student (your son) is not completing the assignments when he is in class and is missing even more classes. Many teachers would fail the student out of hand, rather than give a not graded score.

I think Kriston hit it on the head to take the skip out of the discussion and talk about what can be done to help a struggling student.

However, your son like mine is not helping his case by not completing his assignments when he is in class. My son is subject advanced in Math. This means that he is expected to meet (or exceed) the bar of the fifth graders even though his fine motor skills and organizational skills are below his chronological age. His teacher does not make any exceptions for him just because he is younger.

I certainy wish you well, and hope that you, your son and the school can find a meeting ground to help with this problem.

OP Offline
    well, I have been assured that my son will pass 3rd grade even with the absences and the no grade in art. She says that she has all this experince with gifted kids, and I think she believes that my son is a bright little boy, but not gifted.

She hasn't seen his test score and I think is basing this only on his behavior. I don't think she knows how old he is either.

I emailed her back asking what we could do..... she responded by not answering once again. She was against the grade skip and so, since we disagreed with her she is not willing to work with us.... to bad so sad.

Oh well.

See, that just makes me mad. She's punishing the child. Even if it was the wrong decision--and I'm not AT ALL saying that it was!--but even if it was, it's not HIS fault!

I really have a problem with people who behave that way!

How long did you give her to respond? If more than a few days, I'd try once more. If no response to the second try, I think it will probably be time to escalate to the administration. You deserve a response.

Kriston
    OP Offline
    Oh no she responded, she basically just said the same thing. Said he isn't like the other 3rd graders but offered no solution.

But still no actual response to the question about what to do, huh? If not, then it's time to escalate! (IMHO, of course...)

Kriston
    OP Offline
    We are moving him to a different school in the district..... not only because of her, there are a lot of other reasons. The school he is going to has a better science program, and the whispers are the district are that is is much better organized.

So where does that leave you? Are you just shrugging it off for the last couple of months of school this year?

Kriston
    OP Offline
    yeah.... trying to

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students