Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Looking to next year and trying to find more science for my DD9. She is using Science4Kids right now. What does everyone like? Also looking for DD6's. I'm still hoping to get my hands on Plato science but looking at other things as well.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    I am also eagerly waiting to see responses smile DS6 loves Science so any ideas would be great!

XX

Our science was very unstructured up until we did cyber ed a couple years ago. Nonetheless, the kids tested very high in science on above grade level tests. We did a few short term classes when they were younger- one was called "Bucket Buddies" and another was "Zam's Quest". These were really fun, and each class attracted a small group of gifted students.

RJH Offline
    I just ordered noeo science. Should get here this week. I'm hoping it's a big hit. http://www.noeoscience.com/index.html

J
    J
    My girlfriend put me onto Bill Nye the science guy and my girls (7 and 4) love it!!! What I like about it is that it leads to lots of questions, research and experiments - so much so that my bath tub is full of growing projects! The shows are short-ish in duration (about 30 mins) and there's one on almost every subject so it's a great way to kick-start a line of inquiry...

jojo

Bill Nye rocks!

M
    OP Offline
    M
    I was looking at neoscience the other day. Please let me know how that goes. I would like to know how much religion is in the curriculum. For personal reasons I am trying to teach science from a scientific viewpoint and not a religious one. I was encouraged by the the quote from the parents that science shouldn't be ignored because some theories deny God. I thought an emersion method might work well with my children.

I think I saw Billy Nye videos at the library. I went the other day to the main library to look for more ideas since they have a much larger video assortment than my local library.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    H
    H
    I tend to follow DS6 whims. He is very much into science (already knows way more than me). I like the Discovery videos online and then get him lots of related books and online info. I also love National Geographic for him. I think Science is the easiest subject to homeschool.

K
    K
    We are using Real Science for Kids chemistry. I've read this is 4th to 7th grade level science. It is pretty good, but parts are a little dry. I think after we're done with chemistry, we'll go back to random kitchen chemistry that interests DS for a while and come back to it later. Summer is also a great time to undertake messy projects, start a worm compost, work on a butterfly garden, research bugs, etc.

K
    K
    I've also found it's hard to find truly secular science curriculum!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM