Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 151 guests, and 38 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    avenlyspray, sobadiet, MelodyLeigh, kristen508, karam2008
    11,451 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    N
    NewToMe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Too funny! DW and I are LOL!!! Thanks!
    It's not the idea we have issue with, it's our confidence to execute. smile

Originally Posted by NewToMe
    Homeschooling...that might be a stretch wink I'm not sure we could pull that off smile

Many of us thought that, too. And here we are. It's easier than you think.

For me, it was easier to homeschool than it was to fight with an inflexible school district. I realized I could spend my life fighting or I could just hang out with my child and help him learn. One sounded painful and horrible; the other sounded like fun!

Mostly I just want to suggest that you keep an open mind. There are a lot of myths and misconceptions about homeschooling. But the fact is, if you can parent a GT child, you can probably homeschool one! And just knowing that it is an option can give you strength in the face of school struggles. Anytime you're not at the mercy of someone else but have other options, you're acting from a position of strength. That's good when it comes to your child!

smile

Kriston
    N
    NewToMe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    At this point, I am all about knowing my options. Thank you very much!

Glad to help! Come back soon!

Kriston
    F
    F
    I agree with Kriston that "flexibility and teamwork from both school and parent seem to be the best keys to whether public school will work or not for an HG+ child". In my case, our public charter school took pride in educating ALL students with GATE curriculum and challenging them in the same grade classroom. However, when I brought the IQ score to them, they said they believe they can challenge students with any IQ score in the same grade classroom without subject acceleration or grade skip. I have an EG kid. These kids usually need at least a subject acceleration if not a grade skip. They had declined our request for subject acceleration. I don't even want to try asking them for a grade skip. DS did not learn a thing this year.

As I thought much about ds' education, I realize our school (very small, only 100 kids in k-6) doesn't have the resources to accommodate him. So, I am going to take him out next year to homeschool him.

I have seen big schools in a big district usually have better programs and more resources to deal with GT kids. I really hope you have better luck than us.

Cindi
    T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Hi, I'm relatively new so don't have much advice at this point, I just wanted to say welcome. I have DS6 and DS4 and this site is absolutely great for information and support!

Welcome! WOW on those scores! Can I have some of that WMI and PSI??? Pretty please! I could use some lol.

WHile I haven't read this book, it sounds like a good resource. http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art40135.asp
    It's available to read large portions at googlebooks.

No one can answer questions about your kid b/c there are too many variables. Is your kid self-driven? Needs a little push? Is he good at challenging himself in his mind? Achievement up there w/ IQ? then every district, school, teacher is different. how willing will they be to partner with you? Will your DS have peers at the school with which to interact? Also, I really tried not to advance DS in areas that the school would be teaching so while he didn't necessarily have all the academics in place for 1yr grade skip, my thought was that the pace would still be too slow. It would be slightly higher content delivered the same way which didn't mesh well with HIS learning style. So many variables to consider. Some VERY HG+ kids do just fine in PS, some need multiple grade skips and subject acceleration and w/ those accommodations do just fine, others need HSing, some need HG+ gifted schools....so much depends more on personality rather than IQ scores.

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 03/26/09 06:11 AM.
    N
    NewToMe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Thanks for the continued welcomes and responses.

Thanks, for that info Dottie ...that is why I posted all the score details, because based on some similar scores I have seen on this site, I wasn't sure how 156 was calculated (it seemed high to me). I'm calling the Dr. back today because in all the excitement I forgot to ask about some sort of official report or test results. I'm assuming this is needed for DYS and other purposes (and personal records).

Thanks for the book reference, Dazed. There is so much content out there, it's hard to pick where to start. I think our first focus is going to be to understand better what the PS disctrict and his school can offer. As Kriston said, it's hard to beat a free education. And, it's a large, highly ranked district, for whatever that is worth...we'll see. I'm a little concerned about grade skipping - and how he would handle it. He is a very sensitive boy, although fun, outgoing, personable, too. It's just when he gets upset, he tends to get very upset. And, I also wonder if a grade skip would really give him what he needs...maybe, maybe not...not sure how to answer that question...

Last edited by NewToMe; 03/26/09 09:35 AM.
    Welcome! Here are a couple books I found helpful, and a link to hoagies, the everything-gifted site:

Miraca Gross - Exceptionally Gifted Children (I recommend getting this at the library - it's out of print and pretty pricey!)

Deborah Ruf - Losing Our Minds (wonderful for understanding the different levels of giftedness)

Hoagies Gifted - Highly/Profoundly Gifted

We have a DS5 who is set to go to kindergarten in the fall, and our local district was very helpful. They gave him WJ-III achievement testing (free - yay!) and are planning to give him differentiated work in math and reading.

I also might have missed this due to skimming, but what prompted you to seek out the gifted testing? Troubles at school? Good luck with all of this. Parents of GT kids have a wonderful resource in this site, with all its helpful parents who have been there, done that.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 03/26/09 06:56 AM.
    S
    S
    Hello and welcome!
    We just got results back from our DS4 testing and are in a similar situation. I would recommend achievment testing like the others have mentioned. For us we are going to try our public school and meet with the superintendent to discuss a plan for DS. I am going to advocate for skipping K entirely and doing some subject acceleration. It sounds strange to me still...but I know he just wouldn't make it in a K class. I still know that 1st won't challenge him at all, but it would be slightly better and then he could do other work (either having it brought to him or going to another class). It's so hard to know what to do.

I have recently come to the conclusion though, that with kids that are HG/PG, that most schools (whether private or public) are going to need an individual plan for each student anyhow. No one-size-fits-all approach will work. So I guess it reaffirms to me that I don't have to do a private school because who is to say that they are more equipt to deal with a child like him. Chances are neither setting has met many ever so wherever they are they will need a special program. It's really about finding a school that will accept my child and try to meet his needs. It's sounds easy enough, doesn't it? : )

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM