Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 323 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    T
    T
    Hi BWBshari,
    Yeah I know we can't STOP them from learning on their own.
    I was on the computer w/my DS2 today. Man what a difference. Nothing against my DS LOL but wow what a difference.
    He will not even LOOK at an educational game. Won't even LOOK at the letter games. But those are the games my other DS LOVED at his age. If a child is ready they are ready, you can't force a 2 year old to read. If they are reading at 2 they are simply ready.

T
    T
    Hi JJmom,
    I know the feeling. My boss said why don't you put him in basketball or swimming or some sports. I was so pissed off. He didn't even ask me what activites he is in, just assumed he wasn't in any. Meanwhile he was doing basketball at the time. It was as if these people are saying we are doing something WRONG which is why the kids are the way the are. I told my Boss sports won't change my childs personality. If he wants to play chess and do math and read books why is that BAD! I don't get it. These poor kids get frowned upon even by adults. It really pisses me off too!

Last edited by traceyqns; 03/24/09 07:10 AM.
    T
    T
    Something else I though of for some "amunition"
    I was thinking since my sitter has a child in the 5th grade, I was thinking what if the school chose to give these 5th graders 1st grade work. What would the parents say to that now??? Oh that would cause a huge uproar!!!!!!

Well then why don't we not have the right to be upset when this happens to our child. If our child is working on 5th grade level why is it OK to force the child say to do 1st grade work what does it matter the child is 5 or 6. Dk if this post is in the right place.

J
    J
    traceyqns: this same person suggested that i talk to the school about DS being bored, to see if they would give him extra work, etc. um, really, do you really think that i did not do that already??? why would i not talk to the people who see him on a regular basis?

DS5 plays baseball, and i get the same thing as well... um, the only reason either of my two aren't in MORE activities is solely due to cost and not wanting to overwhelm them with too many things at one time! now does that sound like a parent who is pushing her children??? wink wink

T
    T
    I totally hear your frustration. You are not alone. I am sure most of the people on the board get the same thing. Most people just don't understand our children. They cannot imagine these young children knowing what they know and learning it by themselves. If I didn't have a gifted child would I understand , eh probably not. Peoples reaction is that we have to be pushing and drilling our children. People can't believe a child WANTS to do this stuff. My DS6 was home w/Strep throat and WANTED to do his workbook and did alomst 200 pages. How can you push a child to do that. Meanwhile I can't get the same child to get ready for bed. Now that is a struggle LOL!

J
    J
    I agree. DS4 learned to read and write form his toys and maybe from watching Sesame Street. Although he wasn't reading books at 2, he was reading signs and was helping me pick out stuff at the grocery. As for writing, he just picked up a pencil one day. The only thing I helped him with was to show him how to properly hold a pen and some books on cursive writing which he later taught himself at 3-3.5 yo.

Just recently I saw the movie "Little man Tate" again, the first time I saw it was about 15 years ago. My response at the time was, good movie, but kids just aren't like that. Fast foward to the present I completely get what that movie is all about now that I have a "little girl Tate" It's not what she knows, but what she understands.

Originally Posted by traceyqns
    Hi BWBshari,
    Yeah I know we can't STOP them from learning on their own.
    I was on the computer w/my DS2 today. Man what a difference. Nothing against my DS LOL but wow what a difference.
    He will not even LOOK at an educational game. Won't even LOOK at the letter games. But those are the games my other DS LOVED at his age. If a child is ready they are ready, you can't force a 2 year old to read. If they are reading at 2 they are simply ready.

What games are those?

This morning Mr W followed a Disney game while I played - he cannot work the mouse on my laptop - but he watched closely.

Mr W was pointing at and blurting out vegetables in the grocery store yesterday. ( It shocked DW and I - I don't think he is reading the signs....) Two women were trying not to stare at him.

The difference between him and other kids even twice his age is clearly noticeable. I feel guilty that I do not read to him more than twice a week. He just is.

www.starfall.com is a good one.

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Skyler's mommy
    Just recently I saw the movie "Little man Tate" again, the first time I saw it was about 15 years ago. My response at the time was, good movie, but kids just aren't like that.

I watched Little Man Tate for the first time in college. I sobbed through most of it. frown

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM