Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (SaturnFan), 105 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #42507 03/23/09 08:28 PM
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Does anyone know if the WAIS-III can produce a GAI? If so, how? And is there table that I can use to find the confidence intervals like on the WISC-IV?

Using the following scores from the VCI and POI:

VCI Subtest Scores
    Vocabulary - 18
    Information - 17
    Similarities - 17

POI Subtest Scores
    Matrix Reasoning - 16
    Block Design - 17
    Picture Completion - 15

Would those be the correct subtests for calculating a GAI on the WAIS-III? What would it be?

B
    B
    Well, I don't know if you can calculate the GAI for the WAIS, but using the WISC technical report #4-- GAI, these scores would add up to 100, equally a GAI of 150.

I'm also not sure if those are the right subtests, but I'm pretty sure you can add up any VCI subtest and any PRI subtests.

landsgenesis, are you one of the young adults (19, I think?) who's posted here a few times?

I'm assuming the WAIS has the same other components as the WISC--the WMI and PRI. I'm curious what your scores were on those, since we're all debating whether the working memory and processing speed are fixed or change over time.

Anyway, impressive scores.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Kriston was one of the firsts to reply to my first post ever, and I really took it heart:

The compliment is an unmerited one. I would prefer not to post my actual scores; the ones posted are examples. When someone explained how to calculate the GAI for WAIS-III I would manipulate my personal numbers.

I am 19 and found this website and SENG with the help of a psychologist that I had emailed a couple of times explaining my long story.

Reason being, I have been tested three times and received scores in three entirely different ranges. The first test I had ever taken was the WPPSI-III, and had Davidson accepted WPPSI-III, I would have qualified according to my parents; soon after the first test, because of my age during the first administration, 7 and 3 months, the school thought it best to retest me with the WISC-III; later on I decided on my own, with knowledge of the first test, to take the WAIS-III, then the MENSA test.

This is why I post saying that I was once identified as an exceptionally gifted child, because in actuality, I can truthfully say that I don't know, nor do psychologists, my TRUE IQ - this is why I have been led to forums like this and others such as SENG.

Being diagnosed ADD/ADHD only complicates things, and the fact that my parents and I, in tandem with teachers, have noticed overexcitabilities and high academic achievement, with an IFFY IQ test rapport...you see how things become fuzzy? Mensa says I qualify and so does the WPPSI, the scores of which neither of my parents can "find." Of four RELIABLE and VALID psychometric exams

The GAI is a curiosity; after being tested three times, and once with MENSA, I believe that experience prompted me to always consider the role tentativeness when given any examination. Truthfully I accept my potential and past accomplishments as confirmation of my own intellectual functioning.

I am also taking statistics, and because I have expressed to my professor my strong interest in psychometrics, he often relates it.

I google search GAI for WAIS-III; it exists, and is now the standard in reports for the WAIS-IV! GAI for WAIS-III exists, but I cannot find explicit instructions for its calculations.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM