Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 179 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #42473 03/23/09 12:49 PM
    OP Offline
    I know there was a discussion about Go here not too long ago but I can't find it in the search. My kids' school is starting a Go club after school and I know nothing about this game. I am thinking about getting my kids a board to practice with. Do kids here enjoy this game? Is it similar to Chess in that it is a strategy game?

EandCmom #42668 03/25/09 06:58 AM
    Yes, I think it was mentioned before here...'go' is a hard one to find in a search!
    It is similar to Chess, but my understanding is that it has many more possible games than Chess, and some folks consider it more complex although deceptively simple to start in on.
    There is a specific 'curriculum' and schools for becoming a pro GO player in asia (Japan, Korea and China all claim it started there).
    Check out manga book series 'Hikaru No Go' for a kids-eye view of moving through this culture/learning system.
    My ds8 really likes it but there are few folks to play it with, so recently he has turned to chess more.
    There are some clubs around d.c., but they are pretty far from us.
    I keep dreaming about starting a strategy game night at the school, for kids who play all sorts of things - go, chess, some of the popular card games like yu-gi-oh, etc. Just a mish-mash of fun.

It is a strategy/territory game. You win by surrounding other players pieces and also blank space. Also check out the national go association...link around here somewhere...

chris1234 #42669 03/25/09 06:59 AM
    Ok, here is the american site..
    http://www.usgo.org/resources/internet.html

Also, discussion of 'Ko' - a really neat and interesting part of play...
    http://www.usgo.org/CD2003/Columns/GoOnline_20030113.htm

"The "ko" rule, which ensures a result in nearly every game by avoiding endlessly repetitive situations on the board, leads to situations of fascinating complexity: double and triple kos, multi-stage and multi-step kos, "hot" and "cold" kos, flower-viewing kos, thousand-year kos, "super-ko" and thousands of other peculiar positions, including the mind-bending "molasses ko." In truth, few if any of us truly understand the depth of those complications. Ko fights often decide games, especially if one player is afraid. Life and death problems often center on the question of finding, or avoiding, ko. "

*I am NOT saying I understand this!! smile

Last edited by chris1234; 03/25/09 07:05 AM.
    chris1234 #42722 03/25/09 11:05 AM
    OP Offline
    Thank you so much! I have ordered a board so hopefully we'll get it all figured out. It sounds fun (albeit a bit complicated!) LOL!!!! My DS8 loves chess so I think he will really enjoy this. I'll have to check the manga series out, that looks like a fun way to learn a bit about it. smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations