Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #42229 03/20/09 12:47 PM
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    I don't want to hijack anyone's thread but I have a theory about curing AD/HD. Don't laugh at me. I'm not a doctor.

DS6 was recently given a WISC FSIQ of 118, GAI of 129. His WMI is average and pulling his PRI and VCI down. I have been telling people since he was born that he behaves best when he's intellectually challenged and people generally roll their eyes in response. What do I know, right? I'm just the mom.

Now operating under Premise One: there's a scatter pattern on the WISC for AD/HD subjects with higher GAI than FSIQ (i.e. low WMI and PSI) and Premise Two: WMI can be improved via academic challenges, would it follow that my AD/HD treatment method of intellectually challenging DS6 is actually almost a cure?

Last edited by giftedticcyhyper; 03/20/09 01:06 PM.
    I
    I
    That makes me think he doesn't ahve ADHD at all - and just needs more challenge. I'm sure some individuals - do have ADHD - but Shari's story on the other thread of how many of her foster's kids were told they had it, when they didn't - kind of proves the point that its either under, over or incorrectly diagnosed. Interesting theory ...but I don't know enough about the whole testing process to really know what else to say here. Dotte might?!

Wouldn't it help if we could find more truly scientific examples/methods to diagnose. i.e. brain scans with clear pictures v. someone's opinion based on observation alone?

S
    S
    I'm thinking along the lines of Ironmom. Two of my kids (so far) have working memory and processing scores that are lower (for my dd, it's a 26-point difference), and neither one has adhd. So, I'd guess that having the lower working memory and processing scores is an affect of adhd, but not a cause - though I wouldn't rule out it working both ways. It just doesn't seem unusual to have that type of scatter among gifted kids who don't have adhd, so I don't see how "fixing" it (if that's possible) would necessarily do anything to the adhd. Interesting idea, though!

I think it's true lol based on my own kid. His 1st grade teacher hinted ALL year about ADHD. I had him tested by a psysch and he never mentioned ADHD. My best friend was with my son for a week and she has ADHD as well as one of her kids and she said in no way is DS even on the spectrum. So DS 2nd grade teacher told me about his behaviors in class and then add, "But it's not inattention. WHen I take away the worksheet and give him a more challenging one, he hops right to it, gets it done quickly, in his head, and correct. Look at these problems. Read them. these are at least 2 step problems and he's doing it all in his head. Next year he really needs a teacher that can challenge him."

He would sit there, and honestly I wondered if he had ADHD, and dawdle over simple, stupid homework for HOURS. I asked him why and he said, "WHen it's too easy, I can't focus on it." Out of the mouths of babes.

I started coming to the conclusion that he wasn't being purposefully difficult, stubborn or trying to drive me insane...that that is how his brain works. Most people don't get it and assume it's something I can bribe, punish out of him. Nothing worked. He would CRY when I told him to not do his homework, that it was OK, but yet he still couldn't bring himself to do it.

I'm reading a book on Executive skills which posits that ADHD is deficiency in several executive skills. So the correlation to that is that executive skills can be improved upon or at least lessoned by using other skills to compensate. On some website, I read that some kids outgrow ADHD but current thinking is that medications actually prevent that. I would assume b/c they don't learn coping skills or how to use other executive skills to compensate. For those that do need the meds, perhaps their ADHD has a different origin.

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 03/21/09 06:47 AM.
    Originally Posted by IronMom
    That makes me think he doesn't have ADHD at all - and just needs more challenge.

It sounds that way to me too....... if he is not doing the seat dance* when challenged, then I would say no he doesn't have it.

* the head and maybe one hand stay with the work while the rest of the body snakes around in the chair..... feet will sometimes reach head high..... that is what I see when my DS7 works on something, or eats a meal, etc.

Mis-diagnosis is terrible. I had a speech therapist last year decide my son had Aspergars and did a test she wasn't qualified to administer to prove it. I've now had three Doctors all agree that he doesn't have it.

one other thing..... don't let them rail rode you..... if your gut is telling you your right..... go with it!

I read, probably on this board, that if a child does NOT show the behaviours when challenged, then it's not ADHD. The first step is to get proper material ie challenging material and see if behaviors improve.

B
    B
    I think totally different things with different causes (including boredom) fall under the umbrella heading "ADHD" that it's completely meaningless.

I now understand my son's behaviors come from an autoimmune reaction to chronic strep that is attacking his brain--in other words, damage to the basal ganglia. Totally different cause from other kids' "ADHD" but a convenient label for the behaviors.

My son does not show the behaviors when bored but, on the other hand, it's very difficult and unreasonable really to challenge him in the way that would keep him calm and focused. It would need to be all I did all day long (which is basically the way it was before I got married and had another baby, and before he started school with its expectation of conformity). Books do it, but even he can't read all day. People do need to adapt to the world and learn to tolerate boredom in a nondestructive way, don't you think?

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Dazey, I agree with your thoughts on medicine. (I respect others' right to use it, blah blah blah...) But, it makes sense to me. I've also seen people take prozac from their physician but never see a therapist to work through the root of their problem. So, this is going to be my new path...finding ways to boost his working memory, processing speed and executive function.

Look what I found last night! It's a video called "Cogmed". $1500 folks. But, even CHADD (the AD/HD authority) wrote up an article about how great it is. http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/3430.html In the article, my theory is supported. They say that there's a decrease in attention issues and hyperactivity from working on the WMI!

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by Dazed&Confuzed
    I read, probably on this board, that if a child does NOT show the behaviours when challenged, then it's not ADHD. The first step is to get proper material ie challenging material and see if behaviors improve.

Herein lies the problem. His ADHD prevented him from scoring well on the WISC so I have no method of getting him harder work unless I do it myself. Sigh. My kid will be fine because he has me and I will do what needs to be done for him but how many kids out there are in this exact situation?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM