Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 115 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    OP Offline
    I need a drink.....................
    :E

Oh no! {{{Hugs}}}

Have a virtual glass of wine, pull up a virtual chair and give us details, please.

Kriston
    You can't just leave us hanging!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    OP Offline
    well... he wants DS7 to take another SCAT test so he can qualify for the gifted and talented program.....

Me and DH looked at each other.... "Why?" he had no answer but for some reason the test he took in october was not good enough for them, even with official transcripts..... He gave no real reason, just said he had to take the test again.

DS7 can't use the CTY and Stanford as a curriculum replacements and he can't do the work at school. He will try to talk to the superintendent about it, but for "legal reasons" they can't do that.

So .... I have thrown in the towel...... they win, I want to homeschool. DH of course thinks we have to "Try to work it out" and if we can't then, we should homeschool...... it's been 2 and a half years.....

at least DS7 had an exciting day, in math they did devision with remainders, he hasn't even been shown that (I never showed it to him.... lol, so of course where else would he see it, on the mean streets of club penguine?)

I am getting giddy here.... time to go make the dinner.

Last edited by ienjoysoup; 03/18/09 07:10 PM. Reason: changed the names to protect the innocent
    B
    B
    ((((hugs)))) to you and your family

Soup,
    That sounds like our school. It's rubbish, just delay tactics.
    They are trying to wear you down. Don't let them win!
    When I asked that my son be tested for Gifted, I was told that he needed to wait another year and take the SAT10 again. They had mistakenly written that he scored in the 98th PR and they wanted to give him a chance to do better. Luckily his score was actually in the 99th PR and you can't really do better than that so that was the end of their argument. But they did argue.
    I don't believe the GT coordinator is being helpful. Why don't you write a letter (attach documentation) to the superintendent and copy the School Board. If this is your last shot, go out in a blaze of glory.

You are upset! you're using real names ( want to go back and edit?)

Sorry to hear, the school reasoning seems really unfair! frown And I'm curious about the legal reasons, but sounds like they are tight-lipped.

"mean streets of club penguine" -love it!

Hang in there, get some food into yourself/the family. smile

Legal Reasons, right. CTY is accepted in many schools. HS may be best option. I don't know how big your school district is. But it makes little sense to test again. I am always one for moving to the top of the food chain to get things done. Sometimes I burn bridges on the way. I am sorry to hear of their response. However it's just one person. Before we entered K, I met with two of the school board members (District has around 20K kids). Once in K we met with the persons in charge of Gate for the district, and the person in charge of Elementary schools. We did not get any direct response's, but at that time we where not sure what to ask for. I guess its a choice of how far you want to take it. (School Superintendent, School Board), or Homeschooling. Take some time cool off, and try to make a choice that works best for you. Their may be no perfect choice

Last edited by Edwin; 03/18/09 04:32 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Soup, no one would blame you for throwing in the towel. I agree with Elisa, at least go to the district and legitimately question why the tests that they themselves have given him are now not *good enough* to demonstrate that he is entitled to the gifted programming.

...and ask why they wasted his/your time with those tests if they aren't useful!

(Okay, don't really ask that unless you're burning bridges! But don't you wish you could!!!)

Kriston
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...