Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 387 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
    M
    M
    SpellingCity.com is a great resource, too.

And if you aren't opposed to tv time, then the LeapFrog Talking Letters, Talking words, etc. videos are really great, too. I know they helped Boo connect the dots re: reading. Racer has seen them too, but mostly he has been learning to read thanks to his sister. Almost daily, she sits down with him in their room with a small white board and goes over letters, letter sounds, words, etc.

M
    M
    Well, if working with your child means that you provide opportunities for them to expand their knowledge base regarding areas of interest, then color me guilty.

For example, if my child loves to read and I take him to the library 3-4 times a week, am I working with my child? Similarly, a child loves trains and the parents take this child to transportation and train museums all around their home. Is that working with a child?

Many people do work with their children but even more of us just try to keep up! Sometimes, the only way is to introduce new things to keep them busy wink

T
    T
    Are you kidding, opposed to tv??? I am trying hard to get my DS2 to watch it. He will only sit for Diego and maybe only 1/2 a show. Maybe when he gets a bit older. My other DS6 I swear watched TV after birth LOL!

T
    T
    Ok Chris I get it now.
    I think too my DS2 is not delayed altough I don't see any gifted signs.
    Interestingly my gifted DS6 was speech delayed. He had speech therapy. It was quite obvious he was delayed , doctor told me he should be saying 50 words at 2 and he said ZERO!
    I guess if a child is delayed there would be red flags.
    My DS2 plays noramlly w/toys, can color well, is speaking, doing well w/potty training. But he can't do puzzles or make elaborate train tracks, not interested in letters, can't do mazes or connect the dots etc. So I think he is ok but not gifted.

Last edited by traceyqns; 03/26/09 07:45 AM.
    He may just be differently GT. I wasn't sure DS4 was GT because he wasn't into puzzles, mazes, reading, etc., as DS7 had been at a very young age. Then BOOM! He's doing 3-digit addition and subtraction in his head! DS7 was 6yo before he could do that!

Don't write your DS2 off just yet...

Kriston
    T
    T
    WOW that is crazy. I wonder if having aGT sibling does increase your chance for also being gifted. I would imagine so , but dk what the research says. I am sure the info is out there.

Last edited by traceyqns; 03/26/09 10:17 AM.
    As I have always heard it, siblings are usually within 10 IQ points of one another, barring some brain injury. That's the number I always hear thrown around. I have no source to cite though.

Anyone know where that "common knowledge" comes from?

Kriston
    F
    F
    DS7 has always been advance. DD4 did not start talking until 3. We were so worried that she was delayed. We took her to a speech therapist when she was almost four. She was talking by that time, but not as good as DS at this age. DD didn't qualify for speech therapy (She was borderline). We took her again after she just turned 4. DD was within normal range. Then the speech therapist told us that she talked like a normal 4 YO. I guess we shouldn't have compared DD to DS in the first place :-) !

DD4 was lack of oxygen when she was born. I don't know if she will get within 10 points of DS. It will be interesting to watch.

Cindi
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    As I have always heard it, siblings are usually within 10 IQ points of one another, barring some brain injury. That's the number I always hear thrown around. I have no source to cite though.

Anyone know where that "common knowledge" comes from?

I've heard the 10 I points thing, too.

My mother's siblings both earned PHDs, but she did not. However, both her siblings listened to her advice.

T
    T
    WOW really! That is interesting.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs