Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 387 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
    We recently got this from the pediatrician at DS5's preK screen:

Doc: "Do you have any concerns about learning letters or anything?"
    Me: "No, he reads at a pretty high level."
    Doc: "Oh, so you've been teaching him to read?"
    Me: "No, he taught himself to read somehow."

The doc got it then, and said he was almost embarrassed then to offer the book they hand out to all pre-k-ers. I assured him that DS likes all variety of books still, but we didn't get the book. frown

We did have flash cards when DS was little, but I got them because the pictures were cute and DS was so into signs and letters I knew he'd like them. And he did. But we didn't ever quiz him or anything.

Mia Offline
    I admit it -- ds6 had one Baby Einstein DVD when he was an infant and he *loved* it. Seriously loved it. He'd watch it for a good half-hour as a 6-month-old while I made dinner -- he'd sit absolutely still in his Exersaucer.

And I have bought flashcards -- he likes them! I got him a set of Cars multiplication cards at Easter two years ago. And he had a book of his favorite sight words when he was 3; nothing made him happier than to go through his book of words with a parent.

I don't think these things are bad in and of themselves, as long as the child is interested and the parent is laid-back about the whole thing. Heck, if he wants another set of flashcards, who am I to say no? grin

Mia
    T
    T
    That is so funny fangcyn! That sounds like a jealous comment to me!

T
    T
    LOL Shellymos! These people obviously have not been around gifted kids! Ok maybe these kids prefer to play puzzles and chess etc. My DS6 did play chess at the park yesterday instead of playing on the slides LOL.

T
    T
    Hi Mia, I agree these kids prefer to play educational games what is wrong with that. What is wrong is the most of society doesn't understand these kids. They think we push them when they push us.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by JDAx3
    Someone gave us the Baby Einstein tapes and I liked them. I liked them because they were mellow and relaxing, not so much for the 'instruction'. I had a pretty active non-stop toddler, so anything that kept his attention for 20 minutes or so was good for me, but it's not as if he spent all day watching them. I'm sure the series is great, but I don't credit them for DS being the way he is. My personal opinion is that if educational programming was really capable of increasing kids' IQs or performance or whatever the claim is, there'd be a lot more kids like this. I'm sure it doesn't hurt, but I don't know that it necessarily helps either. Just my thoughts

I agree. DS4 loved baby einstein. It was the only show he liked to watch. He watched them until he was 2, he still watches them some with his sister who is also enthralled. I never attributed that to him being the way he is. Why would I? A friend of mine said that maybe that was why he is gifted. I almost fell on the floor laughing. Hmm....don't you think that Baby Einstein would be all over that if that were the case. I think it's quite ridiculous. Can certain exposure build academic performance, sure...but I don't think it creates highly gifted children. Just my opinion.

There are studies out there for anyone interested proving that Baby Einstien and all the rest do not make kids smart. They just are what they are, entertainment for a younger market.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    C
    C
    Baby Einstein got my dinner made for a whole year, I'm totally okay with that! It was harmless, mindless entertainment with some funny stuff that DS liked.

I also own flashcards, so don't think my flashcard comment was judging flashcard people! I just don't think you can make a kid smart because you drilled them with flashcards for an hour as a baby.

There's a HUGE difference between owning flashcards and drilling with them!

It's the same sort of difference that exists between talking to your child after school about math because your child is interested and hothousing math so that you seem cool to your friends.

Kriston
    M
    M
    I received similar comments from all people - my son's pediatrician!

When I brought my son in for his 18 month check up, we were discussing developmental milestones. I thought what he was doing might be advanced, but with my son being my one and only, I didn't know for sure. I mentioned to the doctor that he knew all his letters (both upper and lower case), knew the sounds the letters made, knew all his shapes and colors, and could count to 20. I have to admit that I was bragging blush, but I was so proud of him. And all this he learned through play, reading books, playing with letter magnets on the fridge, etc. The pediatrician totally downplayed it, and basically said that because I was a stay-at-home mom, I work with him and he was just hearing me say all of those things to him and it was simply memorization on his part. confused I have to admit I was sort of shocked. I thought my son was kind of smart, but hey, what did I know? And of course, since I can't think quickly on my feet, I didn't think to say to her, "Well, I certainly didn't teach him, when he sees the letter 'N', to tilt his head to the right and say 'Z', or when he sees the letter 'L', to turn his head upside down and say '7'". Ugh!

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM