Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 387 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
    I couldn't open the link above but this is info from Linda Silverman's website

http://www.gifteddevelopment.com/What_is_Gifted/learned.htm

Brothers and sisters are usually within five or ten points in measured ability. Parents' IQ scores are often within 10 points of their children's; even grandparents' IQ scores may be within 10 points of their grandchildren's. We studied 148 sets of siblings and found that over 1/3 were within five points of each other, over 3/5 were within 10 points, and nearly 3/4 were within 13 points. When one child in the family is identified as gifted, the chances are great that all members of the family are gifted.

6. Second children are recognized as gifted much less frequently than firstborns or only children. They often go in the opposite direction of their older siblings and are less likely to be achievement oriented. Even the first-born identical twin has a greater chance of being accepted in a gifted program than the second-born!

There is for sure a genetic component. The correlation is strong enough. 60% of this siblings test within 10 points. That still leaves 40% of them with 11+ difference. 11+ point is a lot. It can easily change HG to MG and MG to non gt.

Either way if one of your children is gt then it makes sense to pay attention to his/her siblings even though they don't exhibit the same gt signs.

Just on this board alone I know of at least two people with 2+ kids in DYS and I am sure I am forgetting somebody.

All that said I do and do not want to have DS4 tested, if that makes any sense. I really hope that DS6 and DS4 will be in the 33% category of siblings with IQ within 5 points of each other.

LMom
    S
    S
    Very interesting. Makes me wonder about DD21 months. DS4 is PG, so maybe DD will be at least MG. I assume that she is pretty bright, but when you are raising a child like DS, it is not the same at all...hard to tell how ahead on milestones she really is. But she is quite opinionated and determined (and cute), that's for sure. Only time will tell.

On IQ and genetics.

My maternal Aunt earned a PHD in Chemical Engineering the late 50s/early 60s. My maternal uncle got a PHD in psychology and worked on mainframes while in college in the early 60s. My mom had a degree in English but worked as a field auditor - being very good with numbers as well - and read 3-5 books a week. My maternal grandmother ran a large business with her husband handling sales. Both were dirt poor growing up.

My dad had 100% in all his service schools in the Army and was honor graduate in all. He had 100% on his A&P tests and had 100% availability on all his airframes. He is still extremely sharp.

My DW's dad has a photographic memory. He had the entire parts catalog for all major auto manufacturers memorized. DW has a photographic memory for anything she hears. She has thousands of songs memorized. Before her concussion in her 20s, she had a visual photographic memory and could recall just about anything she had seen. She does have a visual processing problem and cannot read very fast. She can look at columns of numbers and know immediately if something is off. DW is very, very good at videogames. DW's sister is a phenomenal freehand artist.

Two of my sister's four kids have been admitted to GT programs. One, at age 7, was able to beat me at chess after a month of playing - if I did not work to win. Another is very gifted artistically and can draw anything he sees.

So, I think GT is strongly genetic. I also think that it also needs the right environment to flourish. My sister's kids have not had that much opportunity - the oldest was an amazing kid at 6 - but did not get consistent attention - too much TV and not enough books. And the artist has not been around any other artists.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM