Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #41455 03/15/09 01:17 PM
    Mia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Wow! I found this book "preview" -- can just anyone read this?

Link

I'm not sure exactly where this links to, but for a great, comprehensive discussion of testing, methods, tests and ceilings, start on page 59, Chapter 3: Testing Considerations.

Very interesting read! I'll have to check out the rest of it.

Last edited by Mark Dlugosz; 03/27/09 10:26 AM. Reason: Made link shorter

Mia
    Mia #41503 03/15/09 11:57 PM
    all I can say is wow

and thanks for posting this

joslyn #41521 03/16/09 06:38 AM
    I
    I
    Thanks! I had the book sitting on my bookshelf and hadn't gotten to that part yet. You inspired me to dive deeper into it.

inky #41533 03/16/09 06:59 AM

Lorel #42782 03/25/09 08:01 PM
    I'm not sure if this is the right post for this question, but it is a testing 101 type question.
    DD6's school has agreed to have the district person give her an IQ test in May. As far as we know it will be the WISC IV.
    My concern is that the woman adminstering the test has very little experience dealing with gt kids. (She may even have no experience, I'm not sure.)
    So, should we be concerned about her lack of experience with gts? We have no other options locally, and can't really afford the price they charge at the center 3 hours from here (the closest one that I know of.)
    Or, is my concern silly because as long as she is given the "right" test it doesn't matter who administers it?

RobotMom #42835 03/26/09 08:11 AM
    We had a similar situation with DS. The woman who administered the test had never come across anyone like him. She took his results to her supervisor for translation. It did what it needed to do for now, as far as getting him services and DYS, but it wasn't complete. At some point he's going to have to re-test (if I can ever afford it!)

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    BWBShari #42904 03/26/09 02:44 PM
    J
    J
    I have read that if the tester is unfamiliar with giving the test to GT kids, especially if there's any sort of 2E going on, the resulting scores will probably be lower than they should be. Perhaps even much lower. You should press the district to provide an experienced tester, but I don't think you have any real leverage. There are prep courses for testers to take on how to test GT kids, I think.

No expert,
    Jon

Jon Z #42923 03/26/09 04:28 PM
    Jon Z, I'd love to press the district for an experienced tester, but she is the only one with in about 50 miles that does the testing, and is the only one in the district! I know we're not dealing with 2E, but I'm worried that DD's results will come out lower than if we had better resources available to us.

gratified3 #44889 04/16/09 08:34 PM
    An update on the testing the district agreed to do for DD6....the good, the bad and the amazing next chapter. I feel like this is turning into a soap opera.
    I shouldn't have been surprised, based on what everyone around here has been telling me, but after the district agreed to let their ed. psych test DD, we hit a few snags. The local woman is out on emergency medical leave, so DD's principal said she would ask if the woman from the next district over would come and test her. Well, she left emails, and phone messages for this other woman and this woman's boss and none were returned! Finally today she called and got a hold of a real, live person. (Now the fun begins...) The principal was told that "no, we won't give your student an IQ test because that would open the flood gates and everyone who thinks their kid is smart will want them to be tested."!!! Well, the principal was stunned at this response. She explained that we needed the test to be given so we could apply for gt programs, etc. They refused to even consider it!
    So, I printed off the requirements list for DYS and she called the superintendent of the town's schools (here the district is determined by BOCES, and they have area power, but the super. has local power). She explained what was happening and asked if they had a WISC lll that she could use to test DD. (She is a licensed ed psych). He said, of course we do, and of course you can test her - why wouldn't you be able to? Come on over tomorrow and pick up the test!!!
    Why is the district so obnoxious and the super. is not? Who knows, but my friends here who have been trying to get their kids tested through the district for years have constantly heard that yes, it would be appropriate for your child to be tested, but then nothing ever happens. I can't imagine their frustration. (The super has only been here for 2 years and he is very pro GT)
    So, at the moment it now looks like DD will be tested next week! And that her principal will be willing and able to test my friends' children too. I am hoping that I am not getting too excited here, and that it will all actually happen.
    Keep your fingers crossed for us confused

RobotMom #44890 04/16/09 08:41 PM
    Will do!

Kriston
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM