Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #41191 03/13/09 08:29 AM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    I thought it would be fun to start a thread about funny things that you child says or does. DS4 cracks me up daily. Things you post can be gifted related, or just amusing things they say/do. I love reading these things from other parents, they make me smile.

We like to play Quiddler at our house, and lately have been playing it almost every night. DD4 is really quite good...but sometimes he likes to make up words when he doesn't have real words. He tries to convince us they are words and will sometimes argue with us when we say they aren't. So he comes up with the word "han" last night and insists it is a word. Usually we look it up in the dictionary but it happened to be MIA that night. So we ask him what the definition is, he quickly states "you know..like when someone is saying something that you don't really care about you put your hand face up like this and you kinda look away and say 'han' " How funny, I guess it is similar to the "talk to the hand"

And one more funny thing is that he has been emailing me things that important to him sometimes. We will be sitting face to face and he will say "mom I need to go email you something" and then goes to his computer and tells me when he has sent it. Last night he sent me one telling me a story of how much the girl on wheel of fortune won, and how much she could have one. The night before he sent me an email with the subject "I am sad" the content said "I am sad that you won the game and I didn't" It's just amusing to me that he sends me email to tell me and doesn't feel like saying it to my face. Of course I always follow up with talking to him about it.

shellymos #41193 03/13/09 08:49 AM
    J
    J
    Cute!

My two children love board and card games. We play at least one each night. We decided to introduce DD3 to Uno several months ago, and while I knew that she understood colors and letters, I didn't think that she really understood the object of the game or the role of the non-numbered cards.

Anyway, for some reason, every time we had played, she was never the first to go. So one afternoon she asked if she could sit next to me so she could be first. I dealt the cards and turned the first one over. It was a Blue Draw Two.

She looked at the card, looked at me, and said "Mommy, I want J to go first"! I about fell over in laughter (and shock that she understood what that meant).

She is our comedian... the other night, he daddy was on the couch, and she jumped on him, said "Daddy, when I hit you, I want you to say 'stop hitting me'", and immediately after saying it, without any pauses, she slapped him in the face. Granted, hitting is not funny, but watching DH's reaction was hilarious! He had to get up because he was laughing so hard.

JJsMom #41195 03/13/09 09:22 AM
    RJH Offline
    My kids are always asking questions about how/when earth was created, and who were the 1st humans, etc. I personally believe in evolution, but we teach our kids all the different theories. This was yesterdays conversation:

DDnew5: "Where did humans come from, mommy?"
    Me: "We came from monkeys, it's called evolution."
    DS7: "Some people believe we came from Jack and Jill."

LOL!! He meant Adam and Eve. I guess with need a Christianity refresher.

And last night DD5 and I made a quick trip to the library. The radio was on, and she was asking tons of questions about that. 1. Is that person, a real person 2. Are they singing right now? 3. What is a CD? 4. How do they get the music on the CD? 5. How does the CD get on the radio? and on, and on, and on......LOL

RJH #41205 03/13/09 10:19 AM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Great stories JJ's mom and RJH. And RJH, my DS4 used to always ask questions about music and cd's "who is that singing on the CD...do we know them?" "where are they?" That's pretty funny.

shellymos #41212 03/13/09 10:55 AM
    Around Christmas time DD, then 5, and I were talking about math and she was asking about even and odd numbers. I was trying to explain it to her when she suddenly said "Wait a minute, I know who even and odd are, they are the first people on Earth." When I corrected her, she then said, "well, Adam, Eve, Even, Odd, they sort of rhyme, that must be why I got them wrong."

This was right around Christmas time and we were singing Silent night to the radio when DH whispered "listen to what she's saying next verse." Well, rather than singing 'round yon virgin mother and child' she was singing "round yon vinegar, mother and child". I almost drove off the road laughing so hard.

RobotMom #41417 03/14/09 09:43 PM
    I have a book of nursery rhymes that I have read each kid from the time they were babies. When DD4 was younger I used to read her the rhyme; What are little girls made of. What are little girls made of. Sugar and spice and all things nice. She would laugh and say she was mostly spice. The other day I was reading this rhyme to DS2 and DD4 leaned over laughing and said, "Mom, people are made out of cells, your going to confuse him."

shellymos #41419 03/15/09 05:46 AM
    L
    L
    My husband, 10 year old son and I were on our way home from a restaurant yesterday evening when my son started talking about how he liked Google Earth better now than he did a few years ago because of the improvements. I said, "Maybe Big Brother really could be watching us." He said, "Mom, haven't you heard? Big Brother HAS been watching us--since 1984."

He played Paintball with his dad and friends at a birthday party and he got shot with a paintball. It was the first time he had played and it was a little more painful than he had been told and not at all like being hit with a rubber band. He said he thought it felt more like being hit with an incendiary device and as he left the field he said to his dad and his friends "I'll be back after I "toughen up" a little." He knows that women sometimes excuse themselves to "freshen up" but as a boy he knows that society expects him to be tough so he had to go "toughen up."

Last edited by Lori H.; 03/15/09 07:13 AM.
    Lori H. #41875 03/18/09 10:55 AM
    GS9, in 4th grade, said all the 5th graders had to watch some "puberty" movie. He said they all said it was awful, and he didn't want to watch it next year. Thankfully, we were in the car and he was sitting behind me so he didn't see me choking back laughter.
    A few days later he brought it up again, so I told him to look it up in the dictionary. We got interrupted, until an hour later when we were in the car again (I'm always taking him somewhere!). I asked him if he found it. He said yes, but didn't quite understand. What he didn't understand was what the big deal the 5th graders were making of it! He already knew the process, I'd just never told him the word 'puberty'!

OHGrandma #42030 03/19/09 07:13 AM
    We were driving by some farms yesterday, and saw a bunch of cows. DS5 wanted to know how the farmers got the milk from the cows. I gave him some basics. He asked about when the cows start giving milk, and when they stop. I told him what I knew. He said, "Mom, I think the cows are slaves." He said he hoped they all escaped soon. I told him I thought the beef cattle were a bit worse off than the dairy cows...

st pauli girl #42031 03/19/09 07:16 AM
    A budding PETA member, eh? Is he going vegan, then? LOL!

Kriston
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...