Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    F
    fangcyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    DS is going to be in 2nd grade next year. He is currently reading at 6th grade level. He has good writing (composition) skills compare to peers, but I believe he can do better. I am going to homeschool him next year. I am wondering if anybody can suggest some good homeschooler writing program or textbooks that I can go with. I am looking for materials for about 2nd/3rd grade level.

Thanks!

Last edited by fangcyn; 03/14/09 01:59 PM. Reason: add "composition"

Cindi
    Composition or handwriting? They are two very different subjects and should not be confused...

Kriston
    F
    fangcyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    I mean composition. Something like Excellence in Writing, Writing Strands etc. I don't know much in this area.

Cindi
    M
    M
    Have you looked at Barron's Painless Junior Writing? They are for third/fourth grade. I plan to use it with my daughter over the summer to help with her writing. I'm told they are fun to do. I'm not sure that it is a complete program. We used Voyages in English earlier this year and they have a writing component as well and grammar.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    K
    K
    I've heard Writing Strands are great and kind of fun too. I think we might that next year for my now 2nd grader who is homeschooling. I'd love to hear if other people have used the Writing Strands series. This year we are just doing directed journaling.

Last edited by kimck; 03/14/09 04:01 PM.
    F
    fangcyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    DS is currently in school and he doesn't like journal writing at all. I figure writing does not need to be boring and by following a book, he may actually learn something useful than just writing journal.

Cindi
    Q
    Q
    Cindi, DS8 just started the CDIS 3rd grade language arts course and he claims he loves it (a shocker, if you knew my son). He says it's fun, and he can write about fun things - "not three paragraph essays with 'more describing words'" per Kriston's post on the other thread. It's listed on the list of HS resources I posted earlier - it's at University of Missouri. It's a totally independent course - no teacher, but little multiple choice quizzes that get submitted. Books are "Write on Track," the overall resource book, Dear Mr. Henshaw (for writing letters and notes), Animalia by Graeme Base (for writing alphabet books), and another simple book or two. You can see a preview online. I like it in that it's easy and no pressure - a perfect recipe for us in an effort to get DS's writing skills caught up to his grammar, reading and vocabulary skills. DS hasn't finished yesterday's assignment though - they wanted him to write little notes to everyone in the family and stick them under the pillows. I'm still waiting...

What age does BraveWriter start for? Older than your child?

That's at least a good place to look, a good program. And I know they're signing up for classes again...

Kriston
    M
    M
    We like and use the Michael Clay Thompson language arts materials from Royal Fireworks Press (there are writing, as well as grammar, poetry, and vocabulary books for each level--you needn't do all the books at each level if you're not looking for, say, a poetry course). The first level, the "Island" books, are supposedly for a grade 3 gifted classroom, and adapt well to a homeschool context.

Something else I've tried with Groucho, also from RFWP, is the set of four Aesop workbooks by Kathryn Hegeman ("My books about reading, writing, and thinking"--they're for students anywhere from kindergarten to grade 3.) They're not as unusual, nor as challenging, as the MCT books, but they are nice little books, inexpensive, with a lot of variety of work to do.

A homeschooler I like and trust uses "Write With the Best," which also looks interesting. If I recall correctly, the first one of these says it can be used anywhere from grades 3-12!

Hope that gives you a couple of things to examine, anyway...

peace
    minnie

And just for the record, at that age, you really don't *need* to use a curriculum. Just ask him to write about something that interests him, or to tell you why he likes something, or to describe something. You can press him a bit to go further, but it doesn't have to be a big deal.

Just a thought...

Kriston
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM