Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    I
    OP Offline
    I
    My husband just sent me this link (so much for watching the girls at swim lessons wink )

Thoughts?

Boy with 176 IQ is 1 in a million
    http://usat.me/?34415634

I
    I
    Inspiring story but the comments were pretty disheartening. Especially this one by TXteacher frown

Originally Posted by TXteacher
    I'd like to print this and show it to parents of some of my students who think their children are true geniuses. Of course, it's right for a parent to love his own child, but many of them (usually the ones with average or lower IQ kids) think their kids are the next Einsteins and demand to know why I fail to see that.

Thanks to this article, I can show them why I fail to see it.

I'll bite. I already saw this poor kid and his parents get ripped apart on another forum. Here's my take on it:

1. He seems to be a nice, happy kid. Obviously, the parents care about him and his well being. Can we please avoid trash talk?

2. The 176 is very ambiguous, as we don't know the particular instrument used. I don't think that it matters much, anyway. Reporters enjoy focusing on numbers. It may be that this number slipped out and wasn't intended for print. We don't really know what the reporter was told and what was inferred- such as the Einstein reference. I highly doubt that the parents presented this boy as being smarter than Einstein.

3. It's flattering when people think you (or your children) are newsworthy. Maybe I haven't chosen to put my kids out there in the limelight, but I do not denigrate those who do. If I could count on an article that would represent things fairly, I might consider it at some point. I think we all need to be aware of how things can get twisted by the media. Sometimes it is deliberate, other times it is not.

4. I think it's nice to see positive press on gifted kids. People need to know that they exist.

Inky- we cross posted. I didn't mean to imply that your comments were out of line.

I
    OP Offline
    I
    Lorel,

I hope you don't think it was my intention to "trash talk" this child or his parents. I only posted because I thought this was the type of story that people might like to see. I'm new to the forum ... so if I was out of line, I apologize.

Irish Eyes

I
    I
    I agree with Lorel's points and didn't think it was out of line to post the article. I'm glad you posted it because it's good to be aware that these attitudes exist. I feel for the next set of parents who go to TXteacher asking for more challenging work for their child. This is in no way meant to disparage the little boy or his family and their decision to go public.

J
    J
    The comments are the reason why I hate the term Gifted.

And the TXTeacher... really? One, she probably has no idea the IQ of the children she teaches, and two, Einstein flunked out of school...

Mia Offline
    The comments are *very* unsettling. I am just saddened by the general lack of knowledge -- like the person who commented that the kid couldn't have scored 176 without being able to read? From what I understand, IQ tests don't even have a reading component ...

I wish I could educate the world! So many people sound so *bitter* ...

ETA: And clearly the kid is going to be a social freak. Those comments seemed rampant. Very, very sad.

Last edited by Mia; 03/14/09 10:36 AM.

Mia
    On the other hand, I enjoyed this comment -
    "why cant we have more of this ! these people should have 16 kids"

smile

I
    I
    "why cant we have more of this ! these people should have 16 kids"
    That one disturbed me the most. LOL!
    I love my daughters dearly but the thought of having 16 intense kids...Yikes!
    Luckily it sounds like the grandmother is helping the mother and father keep up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM