Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 155 guests, and 41 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    RJH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DD5(turned 5 in Jan) is being tested at one of our local universities next week. Which test should I ask for, SB-V or WPPSI? DS8next week, will also be tested with the SB-V. He was tested with the WISC when he was 6.

DD is highly verbal, but not terribly mathy. I have read the SB-V is better for that.

I don't have experience with the wppsi, but just from reading other posts here, it seems there are ceiling issues with WPPSI in gifted kiddos. I'd go for the SB-V if I were you. My DS took that at age 4, and he also wasn't too mathy (compared to other kids on this board). It was nice because it has no timed components. Any others with experience with more of a variety of tests want to pipe in?

DS6 is going to take the SB-V this summer specifically because of the lack of timed components. He took the DAS II at 5.6 and had a really hard time with the time constraints.

It is my understanding that the WPPSI has timed components as well.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    C
    C
    I'd recommend not using the WPPSI due to age/ceiling issues.

Our tester used the SB-V for DS when he was almost 5 1/2. I don't know if it's all tests or my tester's way, but she said the SB-V lets you bounce around. So when DS would get bored with a category but not finished, she'd move on and come back. She said it felt like it held the attention of really gifted kids better. Probably because of timed portions on the WISC that'd be difficult.

One other thing that you didn't ask for but I have to throw it out there is make sure your university is versed in gifted testing of YOUNG children. Our first testing experience was at our local university and they assured me they'd done many IQ tests both for gifted and special ed issues before. Wellll..... My 5 year old was the first kid under 10 our university student tester had ever seen. It went terribly, he came out crying and shaking. She told me that she knew he was NOT gifted (or anywhere close) and was pretty sure he'd need a special school, that he may not be able to mainstream.

Crazy student told DS about halfway thru that there were people behind the one-way mirror watching him. He totally FREAKED.

6 months later, different tester, different test and a much much better situation. And my HG+ kid mainstreamed just fine...

RJH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    One other thing that you didn't ask for but I have to throw it out there is make sure your university is versed in gifted testing of YOUNG children.

I'm nervous about this, too. I wish we could afford the big money to go somewhere else. Hopefully this will work out, though.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by RJH
    I'm nervous about this, too. I wish we could afford the big money to go somewhere else. Hopefully this will work out, though.

I don't mean to scare you, I just wanted you to make sure to ask a lot of questions before they begin. Had I known then what I know now, I wouldn't have even let that particular tester begin.

It doesn't always have to be big money. I called a bunch of folks and got rates in the $2K-$3K range. My chin hit the table every time. I called a school district psych and asked for a recommendation, she had a colleague who does testing privately and for the school district too. It was $200 for the SB-V and probably 10 hours of consultation and help with advocacy after that. It took a lot of phone calls but we're super happy.

E
    E
    CAMom -
    That is great information! $2K to $200, what a big difference!

RJH -
    I am glad you asked again!

- EW

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM