Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 28 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #40886 03/10/09 10:27 PM
    J
    jellyb Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hi everyone!

I've had some time to prowl around the forum a bit, and I have a few quick questions to ask (related to my last post, but I thought I'd start a new thread):

My DS8 (with cleft palate and speech issues) was recently tested using the WISC and and only 2 subtests from the WIAT (Word Reading and Math Reasoning). His assessment was done in public school by the school psychologist.

My question is: Is it common practice to pull out just 2 subtests from an achievement test like the WIAT during an assessment?

My school district uses a weighted formula to determine GT. The full scale IQ, Verbal IQ, Performance IQ, GES, WIAT Word Reading, WIAT Math Reasoning, and parent input are each used. These scores are weighted as 0-5 points for each of these categories. The weighted figures are then added up. A score of 30 or above is considered GT.

Is a formula like this chosen by the school psychologist? Or is it usually a district-wide decision to set a formula like this?

Is is possible for a parent to advocate for the use of a different formula based on a physical difficulty (i.e., my son's cleft/speech issues)? My son scored 129 on his IQ test and 29 on their "formula score." His Word Reading score was lower than expected (likely due to his speech issues?).

It just seems to me that some tests are more difficult for him when he has to work so hard to get the speech sounds to come out properly!!!

Also, I'm considering the possibility of approaching my son's school about doing a partial homeschool/partial public school arrangement. Is it common for schools to allow children to be homeschooled for core subjects and public schooled for specials?

Thank you for your thoughts, everyone!!!

jellyb

Last edited by jellyb; 03/10/09 10:30 PM.
    D
    D
    The reading comprehension subtest would be a better measure of high cognitive function than word reading or spelling. The math reasoning is a pretty standard measure for giftedness.

S
    S
    Well I am glad I saw this post because this helps answer a question I had. My DS4 just took a bunch of tests, including the WIAT. The psychologist had said that on the last day she was going to try the writing with him (which I am sure is not for age 4, but she was going to test him out of level). But then the last day it seems like she didn't do it. At least DS told me he didn't do any writing that day. So then I wondered why she didn't complete the test...I had been thinking maybe he did poorly and she skipped it. But I feel better knowing every component isn't necessary. I thought you had to complete the entire thing for it to be accurate. He actually writes well....but he is 4 so it would take a little longer I would imagine. And I would also imagine by day 4 she realized she had enough info without that piece.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent