Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 272 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #40786 03/10/09 01:23 PM
    H
    hkc75 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Ok so we met with the PS again. They actually agreed to do some additional academic testing to assess where the best fit for DS6 would be (currently in 1st but we are homeschooling temporarily). It has come down to processing speed and handwriting. He scored very high on the MAP tests, I guess. He can handle reading 2nd grade content but does not do it as fast as the average 2nd grader. His handwriting is (yep like a lot of kids on here) sub par compared to his IQ level, 1st grade at best. The school has concerns about social maturity in a 2nd grade classroom. My theory: "He acts according to his peers." If he is in 1st grade=1st grade behavior, if he is around grown-ups, he acts accordingly (for a certain time period of course).

My big question: Should we put him in 2nd grade and deal with his slow processing speed there, or put him back in 1st and develop his weaknesses more? I should mention they are planning on putting him in 2nd grade math. They considered 3rd grade math but the schedules do not line up with either 1st or 2nd for the other subjects. Do any of you have any success with advancing a slow processor? Thanks guys.

hkc75 #40799 03/10/09 02:22 PM
    I
    I
    Do you know what his MAP test percentiles are relative to 1st and 2nd grade? I'd be more inclined to go with 2nd if he's testing very high. I think children with slow processing speed find ways to adapt and the "acts according to his peers" theory makes sense.

inky #40803 03/10/09 02:29 PM
    H
    hkc75 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    They gave him a MAP Survey test (??) and he actually was just shy of end-of-3rd grade goals. On the norming assessments (timed pencil and a paper tests-DS6s weakness) he scored in the 1st grade norm. I really felt like the school was unsure what to do. Yesterday before the scores they were leaning toward a 2nd grade placement, now they are back to 1st grade with 2nd grade math. Grrr! They also brought up the fact that if the other kids are working quicker than him, will he feel frustrated becuz now he is slower than everyone else?

So I really think if we come to them and say what we want they will go along with it. I just hope DS will step up to the plate if we do advance him. I keep thinking about the old saying, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink."

hkc75 #40812 03/10/09 02:55 PM
    Have you talked to DS about advancing to 2nd? If he wants to do it, he will be much more inclined to adapt. The school can also make concessions. My DS6 is in a 3rd grade language arts class. He isn't able to write at the speed of 3rd graders. He is allowed to do his essay work on a keyboard. When the computer isn't available, his essay assignment is sent home for him to do as homework.

I agree with Inky that he will adapt if it's where he wants to be.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    H
    hkc75 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Shari what does your DS' handwriting look like? Does he have the sentence structure down? Does he read at 3rd grade level and that is why he is there? My DS6 strengths are math and science so I feel we should really concentrate on those and possibly tutor the weaknesses at home where the resistance will be met by me and not the school. Any ideas?

hkc75 #40866 03/10/09 07:44 PM
    I
    I
    You may also want to ask them about the writing plans for 1st vs. 2nd. In DD6's 1st grade class there is more emphasis on writing this time of year since they have to submit pieces for their writing portfolios.

Also do you know anything about the teachers? I'd take a 1st grade teacher who was good at differentiating over a 2nd grade teacher who wasn't and vice-versa.

hkc75 #40873 03/10/09 08:10 PM
    Originally Posted by hkc75
    Shari what does your DS' handwriting look like? Does he have the sentence structure down? Does he read at 3rd grade level and that is why he is there?

My DS' writing looks like every other Kindegartener. He prints large, it's messy. He's getting better but it's a long way from where it needs to be for the classes he participates in. He reads at 5-6 grade level, but his language mechanics are about 3rd.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    inky #40912 03/11/09 06:28 AM
    H
    hkc75 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Originally Posted by inky
    Also do you know anything about the teachers? I'd take a 1st grade teacher who was good at differentiating over a 2nd grade teacher who wasn't and vice-versa.

The 1st grade teacher was his reading teacher earlier in the year. DS can slide thru the rest of the year. But just that. I have only heard good things about the 2nd grade teacher. DS6 reads to himself very well, tested about end 3rd grade. However out loud and timed he was about 1st grade, I think. Unfortunately our district is huge into LA and that is DS' worse subject so hence the boredom. Thanks for your input guys.

hkc75 #40947 03/11/09 09:39 AM
    G
    G
    Does anyone know more about processing speed? I've read that it could be auditory or visual. Is it limited in that way? Will the psych be able to tell us which it is from the WISC process? Also, is there a connection between AD/HD and processing speed? Internet resources about the topic seem sort of shady so I'd be interested to hear what folks here think.

H
    hkc75 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Or perfectionistic tendencies? My DS scored 0 points on his written test because he did not put pronouns in his sentences. He also capitalized his "b" so they didn't count it. When I asked him about the pronouns, he said he didn't think they were needed to get the meaning across. When I asked him about the "B" being capitalized he said he couldn't remember which way the little "b" faced so he made it "big" so they would know what he was saying. Also he is very VS. When he reads he leaves out all those pronouns and little words. He scores very high in Comprehension which seems to go hand-in-hand with his leaving out those "little" words in his written work.

I am on board with the VS and perfectionistic tendencies for a logical explanation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM