Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    seablue Offline OP
    OP Offline
    We have one DD 26 mos. and are trying to potty train her.

We introduced her to the concept at 16 mos. and she did great, but we didn't push it and she consequently found the potty novel but not necessary.

Then, after reading other posts here, we tried to re-introduce the potty training at 25 mos., with our ped's encouragement, a stack of neato underpants, and bribes.

DD totally has the skills, but has no desire to use the potty. Note: she is extremely willful in all areas of life.

Yesterday morning she got out of bed and crawled down the hall to greet us. She's been saying she's a baby more often, and she said, out of the blue, "I'm too little to talk." She also had a bit of an anxiety attack when I gently asked if she'd sit on the potty.

I'm backing way off now.

Anyone? Anyone? Help!

Last edited by seablue; 03/06/09 09:31 AM.
    H
    H
    Seablue, I have a DD2-1/2 who has been potty-training. She also went back and forth between wanting to be a baby and a big girl. I just have to say that we totally backed off the potty-training (taking the power struggle out of it) and then one day she came to us and said, "I want to go on the potty." End of story she was potty-trained. My DS on the other hand... Let's just say I was worried he would be the only one in Preschool in a pullup. He just didn't care to take the time to stop whatever he was doing and go to the bathroom. Good luck! It sounds like you are doing the right things.

S
    S
    My dd was trained at about 40 months old, just a couple weeks before the start of preschool (which required the children to be potty trained). We were really under the gun. Cold turkey method - we were at the store, buying diapers, and I said it was the last pack, that starting Sunday there would be no more.

It took about a week for her to be trained. Unfortunately, being as strong willed as she is, she went the entire first day without peeing (about 12 hrs) and then I put a diaper on her for bedtime (in which she immediately peed and pooped). So the nighttime diapers had to go. It was summer so a lot of the daytime was spent outside; we brought the plastic potty out there. Plenty of nakedness.

The horrible thing was that she ended up with a UTI from holding it so long. We didn't realize that until later, the following week, after she was already trained. So I felt pretty bad about that. (The only alternative was not going to preschool. Due to her speech issues and the fact that I had newborn twins at home, I decided preschool was very important for both of us).

By the way, this is the same girl who, when she was a baby, the ped called the most strong-willed baby he had ever met. (long story....)

I later used the cold turkey method again with the twins when they were about 36 months. Since they were less opposed to the idea, it ended up working well. (except that it was indoors in cold weather; they stayed naked from the waist down for about a week; thank goodness for hardwood floors.)

My advice would be to lay off until it's absolutely necessary. Is she in any kind of programs with other kids? Sometimes peer pressure works wonders.
    smile

Last edited by snowgirl; 03/06/09 10:32 AM.
    I gently asked if she'd sit on the potty.

The approach that worked for my kids was for me to sound very confident that it was time to use the potty. Kids have anxiety about using the potty and if you sound like you are unsure then they interpret that as "maybe I can't do this."

What I did was set a timer and when it went off I would announce that it was time for potty practice. That means that the child sits on the potty for a few minutes while you read a story. If the child produces something in the potty--great! Give lots of praise. If not, praise her for practicing.

Gradually increase the number of times you practice until your child has had many successes. At some point, you will need to switch to underwear and explain that she is getting very good at using the potty and now that you and your child both know that she can go on the potty, it would be a lot better than diapers/pullups to go on the potty all the time.

When there is an accident, don't go back to diapers/pullups. Show your child that you are confident in her ability to do this even if there are a few mistakes.

Jelly beans. blush

My sister keeps dd-almost-3 during the day, and to get her to go, she used to bribe her with jelly beans. I didn't even do it at our house, but I did ask dd about going and she seemed enthusiastic so it was pretty painless.
    She tried really young, too, and then backed off for a few months. Probably around 2y7months she came back around to it - wanted to go in the store bathroom, etc., maybe she was curious, not sure.
    It took way more than a week, but I was not in a rush. She is now signed up for pre-dance, 'potty trained girls only', so that was a nice incentive to keep her on track and improving.

seablue Offline OP
    OP Offline
    hkc - I'm thinking this may be DD and that it's a wee willy wink too early.

Snowgirl - amazing bladder control! I'd love to hear your story about your ped's assessment of strong will.

Cathy -we've done absolutely everything you said to do. The gentle voice attempt and the pull-ups were introduced because she regressed so much it seemed to be intentional. We actually went from diapers to underpants with great success. Then the regression.

Thank you ALL for your responses!

seablue Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Chris - we use jelly beans, too! (And two gummy worms for a #2). I think it's the 2 years 7 months mark that is the kicker. Perhaps we just need to wait a little longer.

Originally Posted by seablue
    Cathy -we've done absolutely everything you said to do. The gentle voice attempt and the pull-ups were introduced because she regressed so much it seemed to be intentional. We actually went from diapers to underpants with great success. Then the regression.

My kids had periods of regression too. I was a two steps forward, one step back process. DS6 still occasionally wets his pants. He only recently started wiping his own bottom after pooping. What you're describing sounds like what happens with many kids. Just keep doing what you're doing, communicating confidence and praising her for trying. smile

L
    L
    My son had a lot of accidents until he was around 3 and I think he didn't want to stop what he was doing, especially if he was on the computer, to take the time to go. I remember worrying a lot about this at the time and wondering if he would ever be completely potty trained.

My daughter was potty trained at about 15 months but she went to a daycare and preschool where they had about 5 little toilets in a row and she got to go with friends. I don't know if it was competition to see who could go first or if it was because she got a reward if she went or what but I was glad I didn't have to spend any more money on diapers because I really couldn't afford it.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by Cathy A
    [quote]
    When there is an accident, don't go back to diapers/pullups. Show your child that you are confident in her ability to do this even if there are a few mistakes.

This is the best line I've heard in years on this topic. When our kids showed they did know how to hold and go, we just switched. It meant 1-2 weeks of sticking closer to home or potty friendly places so we didn't have pressure of what happens if there is an accident. At some point the arguement of when they are ready they'll go - when they are ready they might clean their rooms too :-) but 3 decades ago we weren't 50lbs and still in diapers. If we all were washing diapers we'd be a heck of a lot less sympathetic to how our kids "feel" about where their tinkle goes ;-)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM