Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Cym - He's skipping to 4th next year and he'll only be six. Can you go by age instead of grade?

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Originally Posted by BWBShari
    Cym - He's skipping to 4th next year and he'll only be six. Can you go by age instead of grade?

I called NUMATS when we registered the first time. They told me to go by actual grade level, so the data would be comparable to students exposed to the same grade level material. I thought since the test was for 8th grade material, that it wouldn't make a difference if I put down 3rd or 4th grade, but I did as they recommended.

The recommendation may be different from other Talent searches, so calling them might be the best thing.

Jen

KAR120C Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Their norms are by grade, not age, so you have to pick one... but I don't think they actually check that you're doing it the way they'd like or anything... and since we're homeschooling there isn't anyone else for them to ask in our case!

I first signed DS up when he was 7 as a 3rd grader -- could be once- or twice-skipped depending on whose cutoffs you use (that is, our local PS would have admitted him as a 2nd grader that year, but the private schools would have wanted him in 1st). Nobody blinked except the other parents waiting in the school library where he took it. LOL We've increased his grade at the rate of one per year without regard to what work he's doing... which probably isn't strictly fair to the other kids, but then it's the same issue as Dottie's above -- there isn't a grade that I could choose without putting it in quotes for one reason or another! wink

I'm not going to worry about it, because this is our last year with them anyway and we'll be doing the ACT on our own without interfering with anyone else's system. I might have felt guilty if I waited until this year to sign him up as a 3rd grader -- he would have been both at the very upper end of the possible age range AND tutored way ahead of that level.

Erica
    E
    E
    OK, I'm brand new to this, but hope someone can help me out. My 4th grade daughter took the NUMATS/Explore test in January and just got her results back. Her composite score was 17, which sounds pretty good, given it is above the average of what 8th graders scored on the test. Is there some way to find out how this compares to other 4th graders (I Googled it and didn't seem to come up with much)? Does anyone know if this is an average, good or great score for a 4th grader, from a GT standpoint? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

My dd took the Explore though NUMATS too. I think that we are supposed to get more info next month, something that will tell us how they did compared to other kids their age. Until then I have been using this site. http://bbc.honors.uiowa.edu/talentSearch2009/ It doesn't quite work for us as my dd is only 3rd grade, but it does give some info. I can tell you that my dd also got a composite of 17, and it says that it is the 93% for 4th graders taking the test. Sounds like both of our dd's did pretty well.

To be honest, it totally blew me away. No wonder I pull my hair out trying to find curriculum for her (we homeschool).

Originally Posted by Ethan
    OK, I'm brand new to this, but hope someone can help me out. My 4th grade daughter took the NUMATS/Explore test in January and just got her results back. Her composite score was 17, which sounds pretty good, given it is above the average of what 8th graders scored on the test. Is there some way to find out how this compares to other 4th graders (I Googled it and didn't seem to come up with much)? Does anyone know if this is an average, good or great score for a 4th grader, from a GT standpoint? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ethan, here's one way of looking at it. Davidson lists the criterion for their Young Scholar program here. A composite of 17 on the Explore for a 4th grader meets the achievement testing part for the YS program. I'd say that is very good.

Originally Posted by Dottie
    33 3rd graders out of 971 have composite scores at 17. 12 are at 18, and only 2 at 19 (none higher). So yes, that's a fantastic score! The percentile (against talented 3rd grade C-MITES testers) is the 99th.

Dottie your scaring me here, LOL. This is the first testing she has done, and I was not expecting these results. She did well on regular standardized tests, but I am very surprised at these results. I guess I had a good case of GT denial going on.

(((shaking))) the denial dust off the House! LOL
    Welcome aboard!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    KAR120C Offline OP
    OP Offline
    LOL Tracy - that's what these things are good for... they're excellent anti-denial tools! I can talk my way out of believing almost anything indicates GTness, unless it's accompanied by a ridiculous quantity of statistics. wink Congratulations to your DD!!

Erica
    E
    E
    Sounds like this has been a good year for those taking the explore smile Congrats to all the young ones!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM