Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 245 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #39653 02/28/09 01:46 PM
    A
    asiral Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Hi, I apologize if I am on the wrong board because I am not really gifted, LD more than anything. However, I would like your take on my scores. I am a 24 year old female who graduated from college with a bachelor's degree, although barely. I have cerebral palsy from premature birth and this is where my LD comes from. Although I always had difficulties in school in certain areas (English and History and was relatively better in math and science), I was able to compensate and always got good grades. Therefore, I was not tested for LD until sophomore year of college. I was tested almost 4 years ago in 2005. Here are the scores. I already understand them very well, but was wondering what you think.

WAIS III

Similarities--19

Vocabulary--18

Information--15

Arithmetic--13

Digit Span--11

Letter-Number Sequencing--11

Matrix Reasoning--10 (feel I could've done better on this one if my tester did not push me to give an answer quickly. It's supposed to be untimed, but I don't feel like it was trully untimed)

Block Design--5

Picture Completion--2

Digit-Symbol Coding--5

Symbol Search--7

Verbal IQ--135

Performance IQ--73

VCI--145
    WMI--109
    POI--71
    PSI--79

I also did horribly on California Verbal Learning Test, Wechsler Memory Scale (Prose Passages), Rey-Osterrieth Complex Figure test (would remember the gestalt but none of the details), Fluency measures of WJ-Achievement (although math fluency was average) and Nelson-Denny Reading test (timed conditions-below 1st %ile).

Report this post Delete post
    Profile Send private message
    Edit post Reply with quote
    [ 1 post ]

Board index � LD Help Online � Tests & Evaluations

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: itsmethere and 0 guests

You can post new topics in this forum
    You can reply to topics in this forum
    You can edit your posts in this forum
    You can delete your posts in this forum
    You can post attachments in this forum

Search for:

Jump to:
    Powered by phpBB � 2000, 2002, 2005,

Hi Asiral,
    Welcome!
    What specifically can we help with?
    Do you 'feel' gifted?
    Were you able to get accomidations after taking these tests?
    How is this affecting your daily life now?
    Have you heard the phrase 'Twice Exceptional?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    A
    asiral Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I would just like your guys' take on the scores.

I graduated from college almost 2 years ago and can't find a job. I feel that my deficits are so severe that it is hard for me to find a job which I can do well. I bomb interviews but the real reason for it is that I am not the best person for the job. I am really at a crossroads in my life and can't find my place.

Hi, welcome to the board. I really don't know much about cerebral palsy, but wanted to at least welcome you.
    Nor am I an expert with score interpretation - far from it, but "Verbal IQ--135" sounds like it is in the range considered gifted.

I wanted to throw out these links, in case you have not already found them - seems to be some good info and resources for helping prepare for interviewing, finding employers who understand reasonable accomodation, etc.

http://eric.hoagiesgifted.org/faq/cerebpal.html
    Several articles, one at least lists implications of cp for employment as a subject.

http://www.ucp.org/ucp_channel.cfm/1/17
    This one might be really obvious, but posting it just in case.

You seem to write very clearly, good expression, I am certain that this at least indicates that there are some jobs out there that could work for you (and vice versa). What do you want to do?

Last edited by chris1234; 03/02/09 01:04 PM. Reason: typo
    A
    asiral Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I understand that you guys might be put off by my very low performance IQ scores, but I just want your opinion of my scores. Also, since my options are so limited by my weaknesses, what field do you think I may be good in based on my cognitive profile?

Hi asiral - I don't think anyone is trying to avoid you! I just think there may not be anyone here who has a good answer to your question. I would direct you to SENG gifted, which supports the emotional needs of gifted. http://www.sengifted.org/

As for looking for something that might be the right type of work, i don't know if that can be predicted on a snapshot of scores (although admittedly I don't really know much about scores at all). I would suggest you take a myers-briggs type personality test, if you can. Does the school you graduated from offer career services for alumni? Maybe you could ask them about resources for interview practice, or maybe they even can tell you where you could take the myers-briggs. I found it really useful after college, because it gives you a good idea of the types of jobs you might enjoy/be good at based on the test. Or, maybe your state unemployment offices might have some good resources for you.

good luck, and i'm sorry you're having a hard time finding a job. It is also possible it's just the economy. (I've been looking for work, too, with no luck.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator (you could also peruse the m-b on wikipedia and see if you find your personality fits in any of the profiles. There are common occupations listed.)

Last edited by st pauli girl; 03/05/09 07:24 PM. Reason: added link
    No, I can assure you that no one was "put off" by anything. You are very welcome here. smile

I think you're just asking about things that we aren't very experienced with. Grinity raised the issues for discussion that I would ask, too. It is possible to be "twice exceptional": that is, gifted and with some sort of learning disability. That might be what's going on for you. Do you know much about this? It isn't an either/or thing.

Do you feel gifted? Do you think differently than other people? Do you learn differently?

These sorts of things matter more than test scores, really. A tst is just one snapshot on one day. How you feel and what you know about yourself is far more useful to you, far more important.

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable with trying to recommend a specific career path to you based on nothing more than a day's worth of IQ test scores and a pile of "I did horribly on"s. That's not enough to go on for me to start making recs about how you should live your life. Instead, I'll ask some questions to help you start thinking about how you want to live your life:

What do you enjoy? Waht are you passionate about? What do you think you're good at? What do you do/have you ever done that made you feel most like yourself? Most whole? Most fulfilled?

What do you detest doing? What do you never want to do again? Why not?

These sorts of questions are far more useful than test scores, I think, when trying to decide on a career path.

Have you considered using your college's career placement service? They might be helpful, and they will usually help alumni as well as current students. If that's impractical, there are career coaches who might be useful to you. And there are lots of books available on the subject of finding a career you can really care about and succeed in.

I'm happy to talk more if you want to discuss this further. But I'm not sure anyone here can give you exactly what you're asking for. If we did, I'm not sure it would be very useful to you anyway. Maybe this will work instead?

smile

Kriston
    Yes, please definitely feel welcome - I have found this board to be the warmest friendliest place on line. Period.

Keep asking questions - there are probably lots we don't know the answers to, but many that folks here will probably have insights on. A link leads to another link, etc.

Starting with what you want to do is a good place. Did you get a chance to look at the site I sent? It may have a lot of good info on finding and enjoying work.

T
    T
    Hi Asiral,
    I am sorry to hear you are having trouble finding work.
    I just wanted to say the seng website is great.
    I actually found a great therapist for my son on that website.

Originally Posted by master of none
    I want to stress: YOU are not CP, YOU are not your test scores. You are a person with hopes and dreams, and you need to find out what they are. What was your major in college? What degree did you get? What did you find most interesting? What are you interested in doing? EVERY YOUNG ADULT IS DOING THIS VERY PROCESS. Just like you. They don't have it all figured out either.

Well put, MON! smile I completely agree!

Kriston
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations