Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #39440 02/26/09 12:19 PM
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Each of the above terms used to describe giftedness, to me at least, seems to often be used interchangeably. I see no difference. Can someone more learned than I in this subject matter, for my own clarification, help me to understand how the two are distinguishable?

Does academic giftedness differ from intellectual giftedness in that one can be intellectually gifted but not academically motivated to perform well academically, whereas one who is considered academically gifted may not be intellectually gifted?

The intellectually gifted can also be academically gifted but the academically gifted, try as he or she might, cannot become intellectually gifted. Would it be in that sense that there is a distinction made between being a high-achiever and a motivated individual who is just not cable to perform as well as he or she would like?

Last edited by landsgenesis2; 02/26/09 02:04 PM.
    I don't know if I can clarify this but use examples of things I feel fit into this category and I am sure if I am off base someone will correct me and then we will both learn. LOL

When I consider this idea of academic giftedness I think about the Einstein babies that are coming through the system. A lot of these kids have been raised on the Baby Einstein videos and other academic learning toys. They also are more prone to the parents sitting them down with curriculum and teaching them their ABCs, colors, shapes, numbers before they get into kindergarten. So they are clearly ahead of the curve when they start school. Are they intellectual gifted? Some might be but a lot of them miss that one key ingredient that separates them which is the motivation to learn. Intellectually gifted kids are the ones that have to learn. They tend to be addicted to books and knowledge. Even everyday activities such as putting clothes on gives them a chance to make connections such as counting. Playing with play doh they learn or reinforce their knowledge of shapes, colors, counting etc. Some (not all) have amazing verbal abilities at a very early age and just instinctively know proper grammar without being taught.

As far as the motivation part while in school; I think you can look at the structure of school and holding kids back by age and not abilities. The HG+ kids are the ones that are years ahead in their abilities but because of their age are left to suffer. Again, generalization here and not all school are like this. These kids are at high risk of becoming underachievers and even dropping out of school. And the academically gifted in my opinion are the above average to moderately gifted students that fair well in the school structure and need small adjustments such as the GT programs. I have read in a few books that the movers and shakers of the world are not necessarily the HG+ but the above average to MG. These are the scientists and doctors. And again shows that HG+ kids are high risk because at some point they lose their wants to learn.

Academics are what you learn.....
    Intellectual is who you are......

That's it at the core.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    An intellectual is someone who can be given a topic and they will learn everything about it and then be able to generate original work based upon fundamental ideas. The cites on their work have a very long tail and it spills over into other fields. They are able to contribute across a wide domain. They open up new possibilities. They solve problems others cannot. They often and do bring down whole theories by looking at obscure things now seen as obvious.

An academic is someone who becomes very specialized in a very narrow topic based upon the fundamental work of others. The cites die out after a while and pertain to a very narrow field. They run into problems they cannot solve and they will ignore inconsistencies in favor of keeping their job. They are frequently intellectually timid.

Von Neumann was an intellectual as were Feynman and John Boyd to some degree.

My general impressions of those words are:

An intellectual is someone who is curious about the world, asks lots of questions, and seeks out answers. They are philosophers and knowledge-seekers. People who thrive on a good debate are intellectual, but intellectuals don't necessarily like to debate...

An academician is goal-oriented and focused on formal education. Achievement of some goal (degree, job, research grant, money) is a primary motivator.

I suspect most, but not all, academicians are intellectuals but there are many intellectuals that are not academicians. Benjamin Franklin was an intellectual but not an academician. Albert Einstein was both (eventually). Many gifted people with lots of formal schooling are academic but not intellectual.

Just my general impressions.... not dictionary definitions!

I love all of these answers! I like to think I know the answer to this question and thought about it on and off today. I just couldn't verbalize it as eloquently as you all.

smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM