Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 145 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    X
    OP Offline
    X
    Hi everyone. smile Recap: I am the mom of a 1st grade ds who was hesitant to grade skip. I re-read Iowa Acceleration and A Nation Deceived than did some pondering. I emailed the teacher to set up a quick chat to talk about her professional opinion on grade skip and what was being done to differentiate. She responded with "I have spoken with the principal and we want him to take the end of the year test for second grade reading and math to see how he scores. We would give him the tests at the beginning of April and then we can have a meeting after spring break to see where would be the best learning environment for ds next year".

I am getting a fed up tone from her but I may just be too emotional about the subject. I have tried to be sensitive and not be too pushy because I am very non-confrontational. There are a couple of things that need to be addressed if we are going to grade skip. For example Gate starts in 3rd grade will he be tested and put in Gate? Teacher preference. Etc.

Do I put my requests in writing? Can it be email? What is the procedure for this? I am sure I am already That Mom but how do I prevent this from turning ugly?

Thanks as always for your help.

Since she indicated to you that she has spoken to the principal and end of year testing is going to be done, I would say you're doing fine. It may be that this is such an emotional issue for you that your reading more into her tone than there actually is.

As for being "that mom".... get used to it! The sqeaky wheel gets the oil is a true statement and if you want what's best for your DS you may have to make some noise. I keep a notebook of all things pertaining to DS. Copies of e-mails, notes about phone conversations and meetings go into my notebook. That way whenever confusion arises, I can pull out my book.

Someone else will have to answer the GATE question.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    I
    I
    I'd follow up with a letter recapping what's been agreed to and the things that are still in question.
    I'm already That Mom too though. whistle

Maybe SPG can help with the tone. She seems to have a magic touch with school personnel and I've been amazed by what she's arranged for already. Unless she's found the dream team, some of the success may be attributed to her approach.
    I'm taking notes!

aw, shucks, thanks inky. blush But I have to say, most everything we've done we learned here.

xoxo - I would start with a big thank you to the teacher. Remember that email does not get any emotion across. Getting out-of-level testing for your ds is great, and it's going to be happening very soon, right? And they will meet with you after spring break, which likely means before the teachers for next year are selected. I think you're headed in the right direction. There is probably some back story i'm missing, but from the quote you gave us, I think that's a positive.

I'll go search for your other posts. I can't remember who initiated the idea of the grade skip.

It sounds like you're doing very well though!

OK - I found your earlier posts. It looks like you're concerned because of the lack of differentiation this year, and you were thinking that he could skip up to second for the rest of the year? Maybe, after you thank her for the testing they want to do, you can ask to arrange a meeting in the next week or two to discuss ideas (including differentiation) for the rest of this year. The teacher might have missed that point too since you asked about it along with the grade skip. Sometimes just a bit more clarification is all that's needed, I think. it would probably help to have an in-person meeting to make sure you're on the same page.

Good luck - i hope i'm not way off on this; sorry i don't remember all the details.

X
    OP Offline
    X
    Shari you are brillant. Thanks for the suggestion of the notebook. I put together one right after reading your reply.

Inky and SPG: A Thank You letter is the perfect oppurtunity for me to get back on friendly terms. My dh is getting fustrated and wants something done yesterday. It is quite possible, I am reading things into emails and discussions with the teacher because of it. Add that to my prior ambivalence to a grade skip and it is quite feasable I am the one being too sensitive. I volunteer in her classroon so I am hoping we can get back on the same page and find the best solution. She did send some differentiated homework home for ds this week so we are going in the right direction.

I really don't know what I would do without your support and this forum. I really appreciate it.

I
    I
    Even if you do a good job managing the sensitive/pushy balance, you may still come up short.

Grinity (?) said something like this and it kept me from being too hard on myself about whether or not I'd used the perfect approach.
    I keep notes though to tweak my approach for the future.

T
    T
    Yep the squeaky wheel gets the oil.
    Another thing I keep in mind from I think this website is
    anger doesn't get you anywhere but neither does brooding.
    I am a brooder.

I also realized pretty quickly that I could be "THAT MOM" or my son was going to be "THAT KID." I figured that I could take it; he shouldn't have to. frown

That's not to say that you don't approach any interaction with school personnel as calmly and reasonably as you can, of course. That's vital! But I don't think you can worry too much about eye-rolling behind your back. Do your best to be pleasant and yet persistent, and that's all you can do.

Kriston
    LOL, Dottie!

Though the "that" in my kid was acting out in class. I think your "that" is just how exceptional he is, no? I'd gladly trade your kind of "that" for mine!

laugh

Kriston
    Only until they get to know you both! smile

Kriston
    Yup. 'Neato and I both said that. Makes sense in your context, too, I agree.

Kriston
    I'm actually feeling quite proud of my status as "that mom". It means that they recognize that ignoring me doesn't make me go away!!

Shari
    You go, girl! I like how you think! smile

Kriston
    That's my plan Dottie, following your lead!!

Shari
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs