Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 269 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    jayne Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Is Genius Born or Learned?

I didn't see the article posted, so I thought I'd add it to the forum. There are several older articles...Here's one on acceleration...(which I have done with my kids - like the support, even if its a few years old!)

Saving the Smart Kids

I'm kind of excited for the support and focus on giftedness Time magazine covered, right when discussions about where govt money should be spent.

A
    A
    Thank you for the articles.

T
    T
    Thanks Janye.
    Love the article. Dk why I am crying though.
    Just feel stuck between a rock and a hard place I guess.
    Most of society even family will tell me, skipping grades is the worst thing you can do for your son.
    Meanwhile reading an article like this confirms my fears, of my DS being so bored he will despise school.
    The article could have been about my DS6, he scored 132 on standford benet. He scored 6th grade level reading independent on a QRS reading test. So he is very similar to the child in the article. Guess it is just hard to figure out what do to.

I haven't read the whole article... I'm in the middle, but I found this funny

Fine, now how do you determine whether artistic or scientific creations are original and exemplary? One method Simonton and others use is to add up the number of times an individual's publications are cited in professional literature � or, say, the number of times a composer's work is performed and recorded. Other investigators count encyclopedia references instead. Such methods may not be terribly sophisticated, but the answer they yield is at least a hard quantity.

So if people like it, then it's genius?

^^ smile smile smile
    More like a very resourceful parent.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    You're the mom! If you're evaluating all the evidence and you think a grade skip is what's right for him, then I think you do that. No question.

I always think about reversibility and risk--there seems to be fairly little risk with the skip. If it isn't going well, you just pull him out and homeschool, as you would do if you didn't try the skip, right? No real risk there. And if he wants to go back to school or to the independent school next year, you could send him later, with or without the skip after a year out for homeschooling.

Follow your gut. We're talking in generalities; you're talking about your specific child. YMMV! smile

traceyqns -

I don't remember all the specifics of your situation but I thought it might help to highlight Kriston's reply to giftedticcyhyper from another thread.

So there you have it. Even though it is probably hard to do try to block out "what family says" or "what society says".

Just use the things that are often mentioned on this board:

- trust your gut
    - use the iowa
    - YMMV based on your child's individual needs/personality etc.
    - no arrangement is permanent or irreversable.

EW

T
    T
    Thanks EW. I like the advice "follow your gut".
    Right now DS6 is w/older kids some are 3 years older. It is a mix of good and bad. In fact at 4:30 going to talk to teacher about teasing. My DS says the kids call him "cry baby" "disgusting (cause he picks his nose" "nosy (he always checks out what work the other kids are doing) oh and "a loser" this one he said he replied "yes, your are right I am a loser". So now we have BIG emotional issues!

T
    T
    Hi Jen,
    Hmmm I dk about those methods now LOL

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs