Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 121 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    I feel that way about hearing about the growth of my friends' ND kids, too, BTW. I think child development is amazing and cool, regardless of IQ. Kids are cool! We should celebrate that!

IMHO... wink

I couldn't agree with this more. The kids in my house are all different, different backgrounds, nationalities and IQ's. We celebrate every small success! For most of my kids the most important lesson they learn is to believe in themselves and put forth their best. The only requirement in my house is effort, lots of effort!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Yes, great point Kriston and BWBShari - kids are so much fun and so good; I think a lot of us end up here/asking questions when kids can't be their true delightful selves because of bad educational fits (and I mean that both ways wink

Yes: I am also very thankful I found this site. I came across this site looking for ways to support my daughter. It turns out I have been learning a lot about my own uniqueness as well. The information on OEs and all the advice and resources have been priceless and have had a big impact on my family. We do not yet know if our DD is GT, but we are much better off at meeting her needs than we were before. I think the greatest gift a child can have is a parent who understands them and I hope that I can be that for my daughter. This site is an invaluable resource. I want to thank all of you for your contributions. It really makes a big difference. blush

I
    I
    I feel that way about hearing about the growth of my friends' ND kids, too, BTW. I think child development is amazing and cool, regardless of IQ. Kids are cool! We should celebrate that!

Nicely put Kriston! I've been helping DD6's class with reading and it's exciting to see the individual student progression no matter their starting point or rate of learning.

I think the minimal amount of snark makes this board so refreshing. Here is a description of a new book called Snark.

What is snark? You recognize it when you see it -- a tone of teasing, snide, undermining abuse, nasty and knowing, that is spreading like pinkeye through the media and threatening to take over how Americans converse with each other and what they can count on as true. Snark attempts to steal someone's mojo, erase her cool, annihilate her effectiveness. In this sharp and witty polemic, New Yorker critic and bestselling author David Denby takes on the snarkers, naming the nine principles of snark -- the standard techniques its practitioners use to poison their arrows. Snarkers like to think they are deploying wit, but mostly they are exposing the seethe and snarl of an unhappy country, releasing bad feeling but little laughter.

Denby has fun snarking the snarkers, expelling the bums and promoting the true wits, but he is also making a serious point: the Internet has put snark on steroids. In politics, snark means the lowest, most insinuating and insulting side can win. For the young, a savage piece of gossip could ruin a reputation and possibly a future career. And for all of us, snark just sucks the humor out of life. Denby defends the right of any of us to be cruel, but shows us how the real pros pull it off. Snark, he says, is for the amateurs.

Boy, after all the warm fuzzies about this board, I thought for a moment that I got cut off! But it seems the board just changed to a new address, and i just had to reload my picture. Shwew! (Does anyone has any other info about the changes that we need to know about?)

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM