Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 121 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Originally Posted by KAR1200
    Throw GT in with homeschooling (GT boards that would be nice except they're anti-homeschooling or homeschooling boards that would be nice if only they weren't so uptight about GT...) and it can be hard to find an online home!

I'm glad to have you guys here!! smile

I so agree! Plus, as an emergency homeschooler who thinks public and private schools have a lot to offer, I REALLY like that we don't really allow any one school perspective to take over the forum. This is one of the only places I've seen where honest, helpful discussions about ALL the educational options available take place, where people who homeschool advise others to advocate and people with kids in public schools suggest homeschooling as a smart choice. It's WONDERFUL!

And Jool, LOL about "GT Forum Smackdown!" laugh

Last edited by Kriston; 02/16/09 07:09 PM.

Kriston
    I think it's because of the search words/terms used to find this board. They are usually of the tone "is my child gifted"? "how do I know if my child is gifted?" Etc. (Which is how I found this board)

But now I'm curious: Which channel (website) has the Smackdown? wink

JB

LOL ... thanks JBDad. I was wondering the same thing but thought it to brass of me to ask. So definitely curious.

Originally Posted by Kriston
    I REALLY like that we don't really allow any one school perspective to take over the forum. This is one of the only places I've seen where honest, helpful discussions about ALL the educational options available take place, where people who homeschool advise others to advocate and people with kids in public schools suggest homeschooling as a smart choice. It's WONDERFUL!
    Absolutely!! One of the perennial conversations on homeschool boards seems to have to be "the evils of every other choice"... *sigh* If I could find a school here that DS fit well in he'd be there! But our local PS is unreliable at best and potentially traumatic at worst, and the private schools haven't been much more promising. So we homeschool, and I enjoy it, but not because every other choice is evil - they just haven't panned out.

Erica
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    This is definitely a pretty special forum from what I've seen. Lots of sane, supportive and well-read people who know about GTness (and kids in general!).

If only the rest of the world were so good! frown

The overall quality of the writing and the predominance of obviously well-thought-out posts are what I like best about this board. Thank you, people!

Val

Jool........"Smackdown"........hee hee hee.

There are other gifted forums????????

S
    S
    I can't say enough about how helpful this board has been even though my kids are only in the MG range. I recently have been reading another gt board that I was going to disparage without identifying it; it's sufficient to say that except for a very few, the folks there aren't anywhere near as helpful as you all. Anyway, I want you all to know how much I appreciate reading your posts!! I only wish that someday I can return the favor. Thanks!!!
    smile

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by eema
    I started with another site and was shocked by the attitudes. The site was all about bragging rights and proving that your child was more gifted than others. Then I stumbled across this site and have been delighted ever since.

I've seen this kind of thing as well, and it can be so negative. FWIW, I think of someone as bragging negatively when a statement seems to be more about one-upsmanship than camaraderie. I figure it comes from insecurity. When another parent brags about a child's abilities, I prefer to keep quiet. I hate one-upsmanship battles!

One of the good things about this board is the lack of that kind of bragging. When we brag, we go to the thread specifically designed for it --- and it's a friendly thread that's there for us to cheer all our children's accomplishments, not for making others feel lousy.

I dunno about others here, but when I'm out and about and someone remarks on my child's abilities, my instinctive reaction is to feel sheepish and say "But you should hear about those OTHER kids out there and what THEY can do!!"

Val

I think this board is special because we are kind to each other and we stay focused on the children.
    There have been quite a few topics that started to get controversial; but as long as everyone agrees to back away from those topics --as we have been -- and stay focused on raising and educating gifted kids, then this board will remain very special.

I fortunately started here and have stayed. I have not felt any reason to look further. I read posts here even if they do not pertain to my family and I have learned a great deal. I also have employed much of the advice (or brainstorming) that I have received here.

I enjoy the fact that there is thought and concern for the children and no "holier than thou" responses that leave you feeling worse for asking.

I believe my family is doing better for my having found this board. You are a special group of people!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM