Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #38092 02/14/09 03:45 PM
    B
    bk1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    I've delayed reporting it here because I know there is no way I will be able to log on often enough to be polite and respond to responses, but..

DS9 is now in DYS!

It's one bit of good news.

The bad news is that once again, we have not managed to get DS into a different school for next year. He is currently in a 4th grade class at the well-regarded neighborhood public elementary school, which we feel does not come close to meeting his needs. We decided to try for private, since we were unsuccessful last year in getting him transferred to a gifted public school. (School district changed its whole policy on gifted K-5 admissions, so that entrance to gifted program once a child is in 3rd grade or higher is nearly impossible. It's based on attrition, and empty seats go to the highest scorers on the state's NCLB exam. An HG+ child can't really distinguish him or herself on this "competency" exam. DS got high scores on these exams, but must have missed some questions because he didn't get a perfect score.)

Despite getting a 99th percentile overall on the private school entrance exam, (and 99.9 percentile on ERB subtests), he got rejected from one of the two private schools we applied to, and the other private merely told us that 5th grade for next year was not an entrance year and they would only consider him if there was attrition.

We knew the rejection was coming. At the parent interview for this school, about a month ago, the admissions director said both that DS would "have trouble keeping up" with the writing requirements by 6th grade (DS has an IEP because of handwriting trouble) AND that they would not be able to meet his needs because they only accelerate in math and foreign language, and only by one year. He then asked if DS had ADD, because DS got up and walked around the office during his interview, and he has never had anyone do that before. He suggested we apply to a local, incredibly expensive private school for kids with learning disabilities. I pointed out DS's high test scores on IQ, achievement and ERB, explained that I thought DS would thrive in the classrooms at this school with minimal adjustments, but to no avail. I tried to use all my persuasiveness at the time, but after I left, I just got really annoyed and told DS that I didn't think that this would be the right school for him.

We are in NYC, so I feel like he will have many, many options once he can apply to 6th grade and the selective public middle schools, I'm just bummed out that DS will likely spend another year not learning much in school and feeling bored.

bk

bk1 #38098 02/14/09 05:27 PM
    Originally Posted by bk1
    He then asked if DS had ADD, because DS got up and walked around the office during his interview, and he has never had anyone do that before. ...
    I didn't think that this would be the right school for him.

Wow, sounds like a good thing he is missing out on this one!

Congratulations to him on dys, that is really great!

Is there any chance of applying to the selective public middle schools a year-ahead (would that be 2 years)?

chris1234 #38103 02/14/09 06:20 PM
    Congratulations on getting admitted to DYS. I'm sorry he didn't get accepted to the gt school. I suggest you post on the DYS mailing list (that's where all the action is) and ask about your situation. Other DYS parents may have good suggestions about NYC possibilities.

LMom
    Dottie #38110 02/14/09 07:55 PM
    Yay on the DYS acceptance! laugh

Sorry on the school. frown Has your DITD Family Consultant been any help? You might ask if you haven't already. They may have some suggestions or some potential leverage...

Kriston
    Dottie #38111 02/14/09 08:03 PM
    Congrats on DYS admission Bk1! Sorry to hear about the school troubles.

B
    bk1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks everyone.

Dottie, the Pittsburgh move is possible, esp. since DH is now unemployed and job-hunting (another reason we're not SOO disappointed DS didn't get into that one private school and we're not holding our breath for the other one -- both have tuition of approx. $27K per year) DH wants to stay driving distance from parents in upstate NY.

Kriston, I've e-mailed back and forth with a couple of DYS parents re NYC schools -- both with kids enrolled in private -- and they were very helpful in providing their perspective. Our family consultant has set out different ways she could help, once we figure out what we want.

I'm actually starting to think that staying with the current school, even without accommodations, for one more year before the middle school switch may be the best bet. (And you know that's all my DHIGD (dh in gifted denial) thinks we should do.)

The local district G&T class for DS's grade is no more advanced than his current classroom, and overall the school doesn't have all the extras his current school does, like great PTA-funded science trips, artists/architects/authors in residence, dance, etc.

The three "citywide"(more selective) public elementary schools he didn't get into last year are all at least 40 minutes one-way by subway, with no school bus service from our borough. The parent dropping off would then have to return to work or home, so that DS would spend 80-150 minutes EACH day on the train and the parent would have to spend even more time on the train. The one just 40 minutes away has a reputation of not accommodating ANY type of 2E issue. The supposed best of the three uses the same horrible math curriculum (1-2 years ahead) and the same handwriting-heavy Writer's Workshop model, and it's an hour away.

Perhaps it would be better to spend 45 minutes bored in math class at the local elementary, and 30 minutes at home each night doing Singapore Math at a truly individualized pace rather than commuting for at least 75 minutes a day to a faster-paced school, where he knows no one, that still doesn't accommodate perfectly.

The middle school application process is already finished for this year. Most parents barely feel up to the process when it doesn't also include a grade-skip!

At any rate, we've got a lot to think through and we are in limbo about more than just school at this point.

Thanks, everyone! I feel so lucky to benefit from the board's experience and advice!

bk

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM