Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 262 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    Below is a link to an article that is in the CNN.com headlines this morning.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/family/08/27/gifted.kids/index.html

The vast majority of children are not gifted. Only 2 to 5 percent of kids fit the bill, by various estimates. Of those, only one in 100 is considered highly gifted. Prodigies (those wunderkinds who read at 2 and go to college at 10) are rarer still -- like one to two in a million. And despite the boom in infant-stimulation techniques, educational DVDs, learning toys, and enrichment classes, those numbers haven't been increasing. You can't build giftedness; it's mostly built in.

I love that they go back to the old stats of one in a million and the sources they pull from such as Parents.com.

Also clearly setting the stage for educators to claim pushy parents and no need for gifted programs in the early years because clearly there is not really many 'gifted' kids.

I do have to agree, however, with the playbase learning and not using flashcards to drill. But overall the typical crap we see in the mainstream and yet another sign that things are not changing anytime soon.

By the way, the article is linked to a video of a 6 year old boy with an IQ in the 170s.

Yes, my MIL called me to tell me about it this AM. He has a photographic memory I believe she said.

Of course this balanced by the districts that use a 75th% cutoff for gifted and have 45% of the student body labeled as gifted. Then the excuse is "everybody's gifted here your child will be fine."

Yep!

OP Offline
    Thank you Dottie! As I read the article I just kept laughing at the math and again why it sets me off is people will use it for the argument. And I'm sorry but Parents.com is equivalent to me using Time magazine for research. Just a lot of fluff.

Also dazed: I fear we are in the same boat with our school district. The percentage of kids in gifted programs is over the top which comes down to IF your child isn't in gifted then you have failed them: hence all the after school tutoring sessions that take over the community. So my big fear is the response we will get for our DD when she starts school.

acs Offline
    I completely agree that the article did little or nothing to help the parents of gifted kids, which is a shame since this is going to add up to a lot of kids.

That being said, when I read the Parenting article, I remember liking how it normalized "normal." I felt at the time that its goal was not to dismiss giftedness (it did dismiss it, but that wasn't its point), but to help parents of ND kids to appreciate the value in their children and not to force them to be something they are not. I really liked that.

Considering the day-to-day drudgery in the classroom with practicing the state tests and little time for enrichment activities, it's no wonder every parent in our district wants their kid in the gifted program. They can only benefit from being identified gifted. Yesterday, DS told me he got to make things with legos during the gifted pullout. They are also planning several fun field trips. No danger of a child being in over their heads... wink

I laughed when I read the part about parents wanting "bragging rights".

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Originally Posted by Katelyn's mom
    By the way, the article is linked to a video of a 6 year old boy with an IQ in the 170s.

That really is unfortunate. There is a big difference between a 130 child and a 170 child. I would shudder to think that a parent with a gifted child would look at that and determine that their child couldn't possibly be gifted in comparison. Tsk tsk.

Not you Katelyn, obviously! The article, I mean. smile

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by acs
    I completely agree that the article did little or nothing to help the parents of gifted kids, which is a shame since this is going to add up to a lot of kids.

That being said, when I read the Parenting article, I remember liking how it normalized "normal." I felt at the time that its goal was not to dismiss giftedness (it did dismiss it, but that wasn't its point), but to help parents of ND kids to appreciate the value in their children and not to force them to be something they are not. I really liked that.

On this topic of normalizing and accepting, I totally agree with enough with everybody pushing that their child is gifted and even have a friend that plays the keeping up with the jones game. She knew my child was able to do x, y, and z so early that she set a curriculum for her child and uses that as boosting rights to her child is gifted. I think when parents do this they over look the key ingredient of the wants to learn by the child. So yes, in the above realm the article speaks out but I also think it undermines what 'gifted' truly is. They narrow it to the level 5 child that Ruf talks about and disregards the other highly gifted children in the process.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations